Like so many of my projects, this one started with a dumpster full of juniper branches I have had this tree for years, but excess foilage was giving an illusion of a nice tree, when there were fundamental issues with it. As soon as I repotted and trimmed aggressively, I saw a tree that needed a LOT of work. Unfortunately, I did not take any "before" photos (before I trimmed) so that people could have seen what it looked like. What it looked like after the trimming was a boring juniper with a great nebari and little else. There was an especially bad section in the middle of the trunk where there was no taper and the tree was missing a back branch. I decided to build on the strength of the tree - the nebari - by adding an interesting shari and a couple of jins. Here I was starting on the long jin to the left, and I discovered a section of rotted wood. When you run into this on a tree, it is best to remove it all (if you can). I was to find several other pockets of rotted wood on this tree - old sections of shari that I didn't know were there. Here is a big chunk of particularly ugly wood that looks like an alligator head. I wanted to reduce this dramatically, but wanted to get below the bark first so I could make the break look natural. Here I am carving a deliniating line between the two jins and where I wanted the shari to end. I find it easiest if I carefully carve the shari borders first, then clean out the interior afterwards. I didn't want the shari to extend too far up the trunk... yet. You can always make a shari larger, but you can't make it smaller. Future plans include a possible trunk chop or airlayer, so I wanted more live bark on the middle of the trunk to keep my options open.