A Delivery to the Garden... 6 new large Crape Myrtles...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Yesterday I received a delivery in the garden... 6 balled and burlapped large Crape Myrtles.
IMG_2720.JPG

2 Natchez, 2 Tuskogee, 1 Dynamite, 1 Choctaw
IMG_2725.JPG

Just going to heal these in for now...plan to start working them in the Spring.

The nursery man seemed a little upset about my plans for them...kringed some when I told him I would be making bonsai. I was able to offer him a new perspective about bonsai by sharing my garden with him. After that his tuned changed completely...even offered to show me some things at the nursery next time that he thought would make great bonsai.:)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am in awe...not what many think when nursery stock is mentioned! But a great representation of getting a large tree and chopping to get that aged old feel to the trunk on a bonsai. You just collected them a bit different than some. Excited to see what a few years brings in your back yard.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Every time I move one of my larger trees, I whisper to myself "no more big trees, no more big trees". I don't know what to say except I wish you luck with whatever lower torso soft tissue injuries you may incur moving those beastso_O. Seriously looking forward to their to their progressions:).

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The nursery man seemed a little upset about my plans for them...

But he took the cash! :D Very nice find though - looking at other items in the pictures I am guessing 250 pounds or so? But I don't see any forklift! :eek:

Grimmy

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cannot wait to see what you do with these John! Let me know if you need some help when you get around to busting these up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow! Wonderful stock in very capable hands. These trunks have a Bright future ahead!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Every time I move one of my larger trees, I whisper to myself "no more big trees, no more big trees". I don't know what to say except I wish you luck with whatever lower torso soft tissue injuries you may incur moving those beastso_O. Seriously looking forward to their to their progressions:).
My thoughts exactly Dave...! Not sure what i was thinking but it should be fun:). Just hope my recovery is not too bad!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
But he took the cash! :D Very nice find though - looking at other items in the pictures I am guessing 250 pounds or so? But I don't see any forklift! :eek:

Grimmy
Nope... No forklift...but that might need to be in my future:). seriously though...once they are out of the clay and reduced significantly i dont think they will be too bad....probably still 2 person trees, but not the behemoths they are now.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Cannot wait to see what you do with these John! Let me know if you need some help when you get around to busting these up.

Count on it!! I hope you are better with a saw than you are in the swamp:):)

There should be plenty of large cutting material available!

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
You're going to need a backhoe to put them in the ground! Nice trees; can't wait to see how you style them.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very very jealous, I have been actively looking for a larger one to dig or buy, raw stock like this. Maybe this spring I'll find one. Watching these.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Just visited back there. Love those older CMs with the sinewy mottled trunks. I have east coast envy.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Count on it!! I hope you are better with a saw than you are in the swamp:):)

There should be plenty of large cutting material available!
I like the saws you can plug in better...
I just need more experience in the swamp! ;)

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, those are some great looking trunks; there must be some awesome nebari under the surface. Look forward to the updates.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Wow, those are some great looking trunks; there must be some awesome nebari under the surface. Look forward to the updates.

Thanks Only...I have been slowing working to uncover the root bases...its going to take some time but so far I am happy with the results. These came from Applewood Nursery on Old Bush River...they have a bunch of smaller ones as well...they claim to have 900 CM...and there are quite a few that have potential.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Some impressive trees to start with.
I have to say, they dont look like great material for bonsai to me so im actually rather interested what you will do to them, i expect a lot of carving?

Good luck

Top Bottom