Acer Pal - Newest Addition

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently purchased this from Marc Torppa at the Growing Grounds. It's a pretty big piece of material (at least for me) with a 4.5inch base that's currently about 17-18 inches high. I'm resisting the urge to get in there and thin it out a bit, but will probably wait till spring before working on it. So, Nutters, what do you think?

Also, a little research into Marc at GG offered some mixed reviews, but my experience was very positive. I would definitely buy from him again, FWIW.

20160909_232808760_iOS.jpg 20160909_235139255_iOS.jpg 20160910_002137910_iOS.jpg
20160910_002509775_iOS.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree! Any idea what cultivar, is it straight species?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great looking start, can't wait to see where it goes. Congrats on your purchase.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree! Any idea what cultivar, is it straight species?

Not sure, doesn't appear to be anything unusual, so possibly a straight species. I'm no expert, that's for sure, you probably know more than me:)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice! Pruning a bit is not a problem, no need at all to wait til Spring for something like that.. Just wait to repot it.

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then don't necessarily be in a big hurry to get it in something too small,

Would be tough to figure it's "name"...does appear like green maple....which is a good thing, right?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure, doesn't appear to be anything unusual, so possibly a straight species. I'm no expert, that's for sure, you probably know more than me:)
Would be tough to figure it's "name"...does appear like green maple....which is a good thing, right?

I was just wondering if it was a special type because it sounded like it came from a bonsai dealer, it looks like regular green which definitely works. It looks super vigorous and happy!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I recently purchased this from Marc Torppa at the Growing Grounds. It's a pretty big piece of material (at least for me) with a 4.5inch base that's currently about 17-18 inches high. I'm resisting the urge to get in there and thin it out a bit, but will probably wait till spring before working on it. So, Nutters, what do you think?

Also, a little research into Marc at GG offered some mixed reviews, but my experience was very positive. I would definitely buy from him again, FWIW.

View attachment 116777 View attachment 116778 View attachment 116779
View attachment 116783
Ok, real assessment- GREAT TRUNK! Clearly it was ground grown rapidly which isn't a bad thing, just means the bark isn't as mature as a tree of that size might normally have. Sometimes trees grown this way may have large scars and heavy branches that mostly/ all need to be replaced.

The movement and taper look good! Real good.. NM

PIC 3- what the Hell is in that can? Is that how it comes? With... Yellow tin foil over it? Maybe we don't shop at the same places but I ain't never seen nuthin like that before!

Looks to me like it needs to be leaned over to the right side a bit and the top needs to be shortened some. JMHO

I also think the branches are popping out in multiples from one spot in many places which can become an issue, though in a trunk this size that would take a long time to materialize in reverse taper!

I think you got a really nice start to a large sized Maple Bonsai! Can't wait to see it without it's clothes on! Please update with pics when it drops it's leaves and you can get more advice.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, real assessment- GREAT TRUNK! Clearly it was ground grown rapidly which isn't a bad thing, just means the bark isn't as mature as a tree of that size might normally have. Sometimes trees grown this way may have large scars and heavy branches that mostly/ all need to be replaced.

The movement and taper look good! Real good.. NM

PIC 3- what the Hell is in that can? Is that how it comes? With... Yellow tin foil over it? Maybe we don't shop at the same places but I ain't never seen nuthin like that before!

Looks to me like it needs to be leaned over to the right side a bit and the top needs to be shortened some. JMHO

I also think the branches are popping out in multiples from one spot in many places which can become an issue, though in a trunk this size that would take a long time to materialize in reverse taper!

I think you got a really nice start to a large sized Maple Bonsai! Can't wait to see it without it's clothes on! Please update with pics when it drops it's leaves and you can get more advice.

Thanks for assessment! And LOL at that drink in Pic 3. Not sure what the hell it is, was the first thing I grabbed out of the refridge...I'll have to ask my wife:)

Your thoughts are spot on. I agree it might need shortened and branches are indeed popping out in multiple spots. I suppose that might be a good place to begin thinning, no? I will definitely be posting pics.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice maple! Didn't realized its size until I looked again at the pic of the tree with the can next to it!

In my experience, the problem (among others) with Growing Grounds is that most maples have very coarse nebaris. Although fixable, it would be nice if more attention was paid from the start to how the roots are laid out. Perhaps I missed it, but have you dug a bit to see the roots?

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice maple! Didn't realized its size until I looked again at the pic of the tree with the can next to it!

In my experience, the problem (among others) with Growing Grounds is that most maples have very coarse nebaris. Although fixable, it would be nice if more attention was paid from the start to how the roots are laid out. Perhaps I missed it, but have you dug a bit to see the roots?

I've dug around a bit and the roots don't look real promising...looks like there's gonna need to be some work done there. I appreciate your response, your maples are stunning. I've been staring at the winter silhouette of your #01 Japanese Maple ( http://www.m5bonsaiworks.com/conifers?lightbox=i0rxn ) for the better part of 3 days trying to glean as much inspiration as I can:)

Top Bottom