Advice about installation of outdoor bonsai stands

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Use wood treated specifically for ground burial. Its not much more. I suggest 6x6 buried 3.5 ft.
Thank you!
Nice...

You been getting it on!

Feel free to PM me whenever...
You're welcome by anytime!

I put mine in this year.

View attachment 129528

Glossed twice with Heilsmans, (spelling)
I put a couple stainless screws half way in around the bottoms for grip.

Then I dug this bucket down into the ground packed and made the form.View attachment 129530
I got some cracks with the ground moving from the weight.

So next time....

I will let each one set up INSIDE the bucket....
Then transfer to the ground.

Or get one of the 10" post setting forms from HD. $=nope!

I would hold a rule of keeping the base twice as heavy as any tree on top of it.
Full overkill!

I might run a router around mine for a pretty bevel.

Sorce

8 track? Nice!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Bench. No concrete, movable, efficient...
I will have a bench area for my trees, but this is a particular area is to display my trees in a rotation to appreciate them from a sitting area.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Nice...

You been getting it on!

Feel free to PM me whenever...
You're welcome by anytime!

I put mine in this year.

View attachment 129528

Glossed twice with Heilsmans, (spelling)
I put a couple stainless screws half way in around the bottoms for grip.

Then I dug this bucket down into the ground packed and made the form.View attachment 129530
I got some cracks with the ground moving from the weight.

So next time....

I will let each one set up INSIDE the bucket....
Then transfer to the ground.

Or get one of the 10" post setting forms from HD. $=nope!

I would hold a rule of keeping the base twice as heavy as any tree on top of it.
Full overkill!

Sorce

You been hard at work in the back yard! Great color! Full overkill or don't do it!

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
On the quick and cheap you can get these from Home Depot for $17 each. As you can see I painted the exposed portion a color to my liking and I'll be using a redwood 4x4 post and redwood to build the top with too.

View attachment 129502
I used these for three stands, then decided I preferred something movable. Now I pour a concrete base that out-weighs the top -- including the weight of the tree and pot. Typically they live in full sun, but in August and September -- or even October 2016 -- I move them so my trees get some shade.
That's life in the deep south, of course.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Nice...

Full overkill!

Sorce
Yep. To both -- the weight ratio and making a nice edge to the platform/table.

(This whole topic brings back memories of 'advanced' Ag classes where I went to high school. Those guys got to make mailbox stands out of rebar and concrete while I was stuck in Trig and Physics!)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
partners' consent.

Ohiohusbands.com
Neither you, nor your spouse has to sleep with him, unless you're into that shit.

You'll get A LOT done around the house, he'll help you get that consent, and get it built!

They'll ship him to Germany "coach" for regular shipping fees....

But teaching him German cost a little extra.

Good luck!

Sorce

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
sorry - picture below :)

the sizes vary a bit for me since I try to use up all the wood the I have around. I just make sure that my top is a little smaller than my base. Nice things about the slats for the top is that most stuff washes through and trees that are top heavy can easily be tied / wired to the stand.

20170122_111323_resized.jpg

this one is a bit too even top to bottom but was made with leftovers so you cant be too choosy. They are very stable.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bench. No concrete, movable, efficient...
Thank you for the advice. Two days ago my buried double post monkey pole collapsed (about 3''x2'' each post) although I have two benches ( 'footed' not buried) working well, I was thinking about using some complicated light weight concrete base anchoring the post with a metal anchoring on to it.. So after reading your suggestion, today I builded a double 'footed'monkey pole (about 3''x4'' x3' height (big plant) which I know will last longer and can be moved. So far is working great!

Top Bottom