AFTER the death of the spider mites...

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Does the gray foliage return to green? Or do you have to cut it off and hope new growth replaces it?

While on the subject, does neem oil have any beneficial effect on the juniper itself or just as a miticide? 🤔

I've been told that foliage never recovers, the mites literally suck the energy out of it - but i guess depending on the severity it might still have some photosynthesis value rather than cut it off. A bad case can really set a tree back, hence in really susceptible areas people do spray preventatively, as by the time you notice the damage it is too late...

The new growth will be green again. The old doesnt get that much better really.

The new growth will be green again. The old doesnt get that much better really.

So, in the instance of this one which affected the topmost portion of the tree, would you cut OFF those grayish shoots?
Or ...shorten.. them to hope new growth sprouts from them?

It's such a focal point on the tree that I don't want to end up with no apex.

pale top.jpg

If you still need them I’d keep them. You should get new green tips when it starts to grow.

Its a little odd how the affected area is so concentrated. Spider mites are usually everywhere.

Only cut off what gets totally brown and dried out.
Don't forget latent buds are still very much alive.
I had my worst case of spider mites this year, unusually dry Spring.
New growth is mostly like @Ruddigger said at the tips, but also interiorly where light can get in.
So as you thin it over the next couple of years, it will be replaced just fine, that is if this area
doesn't collapse.
Just hang with it and fertilise well in full Sun. It should be back. I always use Superthrive on my stressed trees.

I don't know of any benefit to the juniper using neem oil besides controlling the mites personally.
Be sure to continue hosing the foliage now, and use the neem over Winter prophylactically.

It took one of my junipers branches three years to recover. Would have been five if I would have cut foliage off.

It took one of my junipers branches three years to recover. Would have been five if I would have cut foliage off.

What about minimally "shortening" ...some... of the gray ones? Maybe new growth would sprout from the cut.
???????????????

I'm glad I didn't wait TOO long to start treatment. It's not that horribly depleted. 😋

Shortening the growth might cause it to drop the weakened parts all together.
However, some neem oil and some trace element foliar spray might temporarily give it back some color. The neem oil softens the cuticle wax and makes it a little less dull for a while and trace elements can turn a grey plant back green again, also for a while.

Shortening the growth might cause it to drop the weakened parts all together.
However, some neem oil and some trace element foliar spray might temporarily give it back some color. The neem oil softens the cuticle wax and makes it a little less dull for a while and trace elements can turn a grey plant back green again, also for a while.

I’ve never heard of the trace elements thing. Do you have a link?

I’ve never heard of the trace elements thing. Do you have a link?
Only to the Dutch product. It's usually a liquid nutrient mix containing chelated forms of metals and other elements that are required for healthy plant metabolism.

Like everyone said, you'll want to keep that foliage. One trick w/ Spider mites is to come back and spray a few more applications to kill the newly hatched eggs. Often the eggs will survive the first round of spray. Certain Miticides will actually kill the eggs, but oils do not.

Back
Top Bottom