Air layering in Tyler,Tx area.

Goodroot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s Feb 19 in NE Tx, zone 8. It was 34 today, but then 40-50’s for lows next 7 days. Highs in 70-80 range. I have one Kentausoran (?) Maple that the buds are swelling good. I want to air layer it. Others are lagging a bit. Do I air layer before, during, or after leaves have opened? My first time.
Appreciate any help. I will do the same as I can.

I've typically set air layers after spring growth has hardened off a bit in late spring. I have heard of people doing it at bud break in early spring/late winter with success also. I don't know which is best. Hopefully someone with experience doing both will chime in with which is best. I'm curious myself.

This recent thread discussed this very question:

It’s Feb 19 in NE Tx, zone 8. It was 34 today, but then 40-50’s for lows next 7 days. Highs in 70-80 range. I have one Kentausoran (?) Maple that the buds are swelling good. I want to air layer it. Others are lagging a bit. Do I air layer before, during, or after leaves have opened? My first time.
Appreciate any help. I will do the same as I can.
Your maple is likely a "Kentaro San"cultivar of Japanese maple that was apparently begun with bonsai in mind (small leaves, hardy in containers etc.). I'd wait to begin air layering until the tree leafs out. FWIW...

Your maple is likely a "Kentaro San"cultivar of Japanese maple that was apparently begun with bonsai in mind (small leaves, hardy in containers etc.). I'd wait to begin air layering until the tree leafs out. FWIW...
Aha. The tag was one word. It does have beautiful small leaves and loves its pot!

Back
Top Bottom