American Bonsai Potters

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@thams, I just realized you live in Alexandria, VA. Not sure you follow the Walking Dead or not. Anyway congrats on your volunteer work at the National Exhibit. I would love to spend some time working there on thier trees.

Haha, yep, I know the Walking Dead reference.

Not sure the Museum will let me near their trees, but the pots I can't kill...unless I drop them...which I won't do...I hope.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually one of the top members from our Ann Arbor club just happened to be there when they were repotting the Hiroshima Pine that is known to be hundreds of years old, they let him help with the work. Now, I don't know if it was just happenstance or if he set up a voluntary day ahead of time, but regardless, how cool would that be!

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Kanehiro Hamajima's mark. I think I have the orientation correct. Feel free to use these on the site if you wish! Thanks again for putting this resource together. :)KH1.jpg KH2.JPG

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody recognize this one?

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 35

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sweet! Mind if I use the photos for the website?
I posted this earlier, but then deleted it because I wasn't sure anyone cared. I think he is/was mainly a succulent planter guy. Many of his containers work for bonsai as well and there is definitely overlap but I think he self-identified as a succulent potter. Still not sure if that matters to you or anyone else haha!! :)

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I posted this earlier, but then deleted it because I wasn't sure anyone cared. I think he is/was mainly a succulent planter guy. Many of his containers work for bonsai as well and there is definitely overlap but I think he self-identified as a succulent potter. Still not sure if that matters to you or anyone else haha!! :)

I've found a few potters that are self-identified as succulent hobbyists even though the pots can be used for some bonsai as well. I figure if I'm including artists that have only made a few bonsai pots in their entire career, then I can include succulent potters as well. I think there's a gray area in some cases. I'm ok with it!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@rockm, you're right - the Nick Lenz pots in the National Arboretum collection are awesome. I plan to photograph them soon and then I'll share here (and on the website). I didn't realize (or didn't really consider) that any random person can donate pottery to the arboretum for them to use. So many really neat pots with cool stories. Also, there's a nice Michael Hagedorn pot that I spotted that I'm looking forward to handling.

I'm getting my paperwork in to become a volunteer, so I should be able to get started in a week or two. I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and documenting some pots. Independent of the website I'm putting together this is going to be a neat experience.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm, you're right - the Nick Lenz pots in the National Arboretum collection are awesome. I plan to photograph them soon and then I'll share here (and on the website). I didn't realize (or didn't really consider) that any random person can donate pottery to the arboretum for them to use. So many really neat pots with cool stories. Also, there's a nice Michael Hagedorn pot that I spotted that I'm looking forward to handling.

I'm getting my paperwork in to become a volunteer, so I should be able to get started in a week or two. I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and documenting some pots. Independent of the website I'm putting together this is going to be a neat experience.

There are some great pots from all over the world there. Pay particular attention to some of the Chinese pots. I know you're interested in western pots, but the Chinese stuff is pretty awesome, some of those containers are 300-400 years old if Warren Hill wasn't pulling my leg about them. He put a larger old Chinese drum pot in my hands and said "don't drop it, you'll owe me ten thousand

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are some great pots from all over the world there. Pay particular attention to some of the Chinese pots. I know you're interested in western pots, but the Chinese stuff is pretty awesome, some of those containers are 300-400 years old if Warren Hill wasn't pulling my leg about them. He put a larger old Chinese drum pot in my hands and said "don't drop it, you'll owe me ten thousand

I only got to see a portion of them up close, but I'll be handling every...single...one to photograph them and document pertinent information in their system (and my website if American-made). They need to clear me officially so that I can handle the pots in general. This way if I break one (God forbid...) then I'm at least officially affiliated with the Arboretum and not some random visitor they let in to fondle pottery. Many of the eastern pottery's makers are unknown, so I'll get to help chase down that information. Should be a great learning experience for me - I have a feeling I'll be relying heavily on MRB's chop database to get things sorted out. Either way I'll be committing at least 4 hours per week to help out.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm wondering if anyone has any pottery by Ely Johnson (out of Philly). Apparently he made pots back in the 1970's. I've never seen any for sale or posted anywhere so I'm reaching out here. I'd love some pictures of his work if at all possible.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm wondering if anyone has any pottery by Ely Johnson (out of Philly). Apparently he made pots back in the 1970's. I've never seen any for sale or posted anywhere so I'm reaching out here. I'd love some pictures of his work if at all possible.

My teacher has one, I'll try to get a picture to share.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My teacher has one, I'll try to get a picture to share.

If you could that would be awesome - no rush at all. I just have no idea if or when I would be able to get my hands on one to photograph. Thanks!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just looked through the site Thams.

Well Done!

Sorce

Most appreciated! I still have a long way to go through. There's around 75 posts still in draft form - some of which are well known artist that HAVE to be included on the site.

Top Bottom