Another Nursery Azalea Gets a Chop

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I found this one at a nursery a few weeks back, today I decided to cut it back. What do you think?

Here is what I stated with:
DSC00150-1.jpg

Nice fat trunk:
DSC00151-1.jpg

After a few minutes with the shears:
DSC00152-1.jpg

After removing the pot, I found the roots and soil were very dry, even though I have been watering it for a while:
DSC00154-1.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
But wait, there's more:

After sawing the root ball in two, it was dry all the way through:
DSC00156-1.jpg

I cut some wedges out of the root mass and poked holes through it in order to help it absorb some moisture:
DSC00158-1.jpg

Here is the final product, with some damp moss on it to hold moisture. I plan on soaking it in a tub of water later to hopefully hydrate it:
DSC00159-1.jpg

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice tutorial Mullet. I love seeing how others approach different material.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Huh didn't know you could leave bits of foliage on these when you do this. Would probably have sped up the development of mine a little, oh well.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Huh didn't know you could leave bits of foliage on these when you do this. Would probably have sped up the development of mine a little, oh well.
It doesn't necessarily speed up development. It's just a safety line that will most likely be removed once there is some growth on the other branches.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks good very good/lucky for nursery material. Today I looked for some azalea raw nursery stock, only 3 cuttings stuck in a pot. That's the normal way now to produce azaleas. Put 3-4 cuttings in a pot, grow, top them off after 1 growing season, again a growing season later. Bla...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome!

Mine, however, died for sure. When you scrap it it is no longer green underneath.

Frustrating, because I dont know what I did. It never got too dry/wet, it was in shade. Maybe I should have left some green on it just to ensure its survival? It put out a few small buds but they never got bigger and instead browned. It could also have been too weak from flowering.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Awesome!

Mine, however, died for sure. When you scrap it it is no longer green underneath.

Frustrating, because I dont know what I did. It never got too dry/wet, it was in shade. Maybe I should have left some green on it just to ensure its survival? It put out a few small buds but they never got bigger and instead browned. It could also have been too weak from flowering.

I have done this to a bunch of azaleas, and have lost a few too. It happens. Blooming before hand does not matter, I have done it both ways. When I cut this one back, I was not sure it would make it either, the soil it was in was not taking water and it was dry. But it pulled through. I have another I did the same week as this one and I put it in a bonsai pot. I don't know if it is going to pull through, I think I was too aggressive on the roots.

John

Top Bottom