Apprenticeships in Japan?

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
ive always wondered how people from the states find an apprenticeship over seas like Japan. If anyone can shed some light on this process that would help greatly.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My guess would be to spend a few years working with American masters and get a taste of it. If they feel you are capable of continuing in Japan, they will put in a good word for you. Japanese Bonsai Masters have very little patience for people 'thinking' they want to learn Bonsai.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There's not many doing it in the US. Boon has one and Michael Hagedorn has one.

Many of the recent apprentices were referred by Boon. His recommendation is very much respected by the Japanese masters.

Ryan Neil got his directly with Kimora. Ryan visited Japan and got a tour of Kimora's garden. He then wrote Kimora a letter every month asking to be taken on as an apprentice. After a year, Kimora finally relented and let him come. Ryan, of course, tells the story much better!

Not sure how Bjorn got his.

There are some places now in Japan that will let you come "be an apprentice" for a short time. A week, a month, maybe two or three months. The student pays for the privilege.

Here in the US, there are a couple of programs where you can go to get quality training, working on advanced material:

Bill Valalvanis in Rochester, NY af International Bonsai has a school.

Ryan Neil teaches several classes. These run about 3 or 4 days, three or 4 times a year. (I haven't looked at his web site in a while.). Generally, they're species specific. So, if you want to learn about Black Pines, for example, you take the Black Pine series. I believe when you sign up, you commit to all the classes for the full year.

Michael Hagedorn has a series of classes he calls "Seasonals". The idea is to teach the work that's necessary at the proper time I the year.

And, of course, Boon offers his Intensives. The program is 3 three day classes a year, winter, summer, and fall, for three years. After three years, you take an additional winter class where he teaches how to prepare trees for showing. You can start anytime, and you don't have to take them in order.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Not sure how Bjorn got his.

He visited Fujikawa's nursery as a kid/teenager and was jokingly offered a job. He went to college and majored in Japanese Language and business and went to Japan to make it happen. Six year apprenticeship later - certified Nippon Professional. Major dedication!

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Interesting information on the domestic bonsai schools. Which of these schools provides the best sessions for deciduous trees? Conifers (yamadori) can transition much faster than deciduous to bonsai. In my opinion the real skill and artistic eye involves deciduous trees. The real artist with conifer yamadori is Mother Nature.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everyone I named is good with deciduous trees, too.

You know that deciduous trees take much, much longer to develop than conifers, right?

Bill Valalvanis specializes in Japanese Maples.

Boon is good with all species. I chose to study with him because I'm particularly untested in JBP, which Boon is known for. But he has all varieties in his garden. Except azalea! He has one or two, but he says his microclimate isn't good for azaleas. About 40 miles away, Rick Garcia grows nothing but azalea!

A friend of mine took my JBP classes I teach at Plant City Bonsai, and decided to go study with Boon. He is primarily interested in deciduous trees, so Boon allowed him to work on mostly deciduous trees.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ryan Neil's courses aren't species-specific, but category-specific, based on whether the trees' strength comes from the roots, the vascular system, or the foliage. So, the courses are for pines, junipers, or extending species (e.g. spruce, fir, Doug fir, etc.). Within each category, he gives you information on as many species as possible.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ryan Neil's courses aren't species-specific, but category-specific, based on whether the trees' strength comes from the roots, the vascular system, or the foliage. So, the courses are for pines, junipers, or extending species (e.g. spruce, fir, Doug fir, etc.). Within each category, he gives you information on as many species as possible.
Thanks for the clarification.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan Neil teaches several classes. These run about 3 or 4 days, three or 4 times a year. (I haven't looked at his web site in a while.). Generally, they're species specific. So, if you want to learn about Black Pines, for example, you take the Black Pine series. I believe when you sign up, you commit to all the classes for the full year.

Personally questioning Ryan he said he had difficulty finding anyone dedicated enough to stay the course of even one years training. It seems few Americans have temperament to live semi monk like existence for any extended period of time and reputation rubs of on all of us I expect;).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally questioning Ryan he said he had difficulty finding anyone dedicated enough to stay the course of even one years training. It seems few Americans have temperament to live semi monk like existence for any extended period of time and reputation rubs of on all of us I expect;).
That's interesting. I have a friend who took one whole year of his Pine course. I have another who signed up to take a course, I don't know which one, and it had three sessions. He took the first one, but something at work caused him to have to cancel the second session. I can't remember if he attended the third session or not. But Ryan would not let him make up the session he missed the following year, and did not refund a prorata portion of the fee.

Boon does his differently. You can start at whichever you want, usually he has 3 winter classes, 3 summer classes and 3 fall classes. So, there's some flexibility of dates. And it's pay as you go. And if you miss a class, you can make it up the following year.

Not everyone finishes the entire 3 year program. There's about 30 that have. I believe there will be several who graduate at this year's Winter 4. Some go straight thru, some it takes longer, 5 or 6 years.

Since I went to Boon's Intensives, I know all about them. The other professionals operate good schools, too. I believe there was a bonsai magazine that compared the programs. Came out a couple years ago. I think there's even a picture of me working on a tree! I think the best thing to do is to find a teacher who's teaching style you like.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I can read among the above lines : Are you dedicated enough? Dedication is the main prerequisite, to my opinion.
If we Western culture people cannot stand the training by a Western master, how could one westerner stand the training by a Japanese master?
We (members of the Hellenic Bonsai Club) have been told by Mr. Peter Warren, during his seminars as invited artist, that Japanese mentality is very tough in terms of discipline.
But I am sure you already know all the above mentioned.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would imagine you would need a pretty good handle on the language too and as far as language goes Japanese isn't an easy one but if you want it you would make it happen. That would likely be the first stumbling block for many.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there any sort of standardization in regards to apprentice levels? I come from a construction background, each level has certain skills that are mandatory to have learned. Or is this too rigid for an artistic apprenticeship? Curious for both Japan, an the US.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
based on whether the trees' strength comes from the roots, the vascular system, or the foliage.
It is very interesting!
Sorry for off topic question! Could you give me more details about it? Thanks
Bonhe

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there any sort of standardization in regards to apprentice levels? I come from a construction background, each level has certain skills that are mandatory to have learned. Or is this too rigid for an artistic apprenticeship? Curious for both Japan, an the US.
There's no standards for apprenticeships in the US.

In Japan, there is a process to become a Certified "bonsai master". It's rather a big deal. It means that the apprentice has served his master for a minimum of 5 years. There's a nomination process and the apprentices work is reviewed, etc. Then there's the formal ceremony where the Certificate is awarded.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the off topic again. I post this link here for people who want to learn bonsai technique and design right in Southern California. I used to come to David Nguy's nursery weekly for 3 months in 2010 . His wiring technique and design are exceptional. To get into his class, I needed the referral!!! It is worth it. Ah, I did not have to pay any fee!
http://www.bonsaijidai.com/theschool.html
Bonhe

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry for the off topic again. I post this link here for people who want to learn bonsai technique and design right in Southern California. I used to come to David Nguy's nursery weekly for 3 months in 2010 . His wiring technique and design are exceptional. To get into his class, I needed the referral!!! It is worth it. Ah, I did not have to pay any fee!
Bonhe
Impressive!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Bonhe
Those trees on his website are great.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is very interesting!
Sorry for off topic question! Could you give me more details about it? Thanks
Bonhe
Pines' strength is centered in their roots, extending species in their vascular system, and junipers in their foliage. There are differences in the work schedules for each.

Top Bottom