Autumn Moon acer shirasawanum

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
I just picked this beauty up today at a local nursery. I know shirasawanum are not your typical "go to" bonsai, but I just fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.

I plan on keeping her in this pot until next spring, and then repotting her in a much larger growing pot. From what I understand, if I'm going to attempt to any type of bonsai, it should be a larger specimen because the leaves don't reduce well.

Any opinions on how big I should go?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 110

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This cultivar can take full sun! It cousin 'aurem' is one of the greatest for foliage color, but it needs to be kept in dappled shade (W. Valavanis, dba International Bonsai, has more than one as large bonsai). Probably not the best choice for a shohin, but any size larger will be great!

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
[QUOTEThis cultivar can take full sun! It cousin 'aurem' is one of the greatest for foliage color, but it needs to be kept in dappled shade (W. Valavanis, dba International Bonsai, has more than one as large bonsai). Probably not the best choice for a shohin, but any size larger will be great!][/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I just looked up Bill Valavanis. Boy what a collection

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
This cultivar can take full sun! It cousin 'aurem' is one of the greatest for foliage color, but it needs to be kept in dappled shade (W. Valavanis, dba International Bonsai, has more than one as large bonsai). Probably not the best choice for a shohin, but any size larger will be great!
Just curious because I've seen coral red colloring on vine maples out in the sun in a clearcut, yet olive green throughout on the maples still in the shade under the forest canopy. I'm trying to get a handle on red or coral colorings in maples and possible other plants.
Anyone know, what is the coloring of an "Autumn Moon" maple if kept in shade 24/7?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just curious because I've seen coral red colloring on vine maples out in the sun in a clearcut, yet olive green throughout on the maples still in the shade under the forest canopy. I'm trying to get a handle on red or coral colorings in maples and possible other plants.
Anyone know, what is the coloring of an "Autumn Moon" maple if kept in shade 24/7?
In maples it is anthocyanin that gives leafs the coral red colorings. It is a pigment that protects the photosynthetic apparatus from becoming overloaded and damaged. There is no need for it in shade, so even normally red leaves turn greenish. However, it you take a shade adapted vine maple, say, and then put it in full sun, the leaves will turn a brilliant coral red. Here, in my area, it is usually cool and cloudy in the spring, so the leaves are adapted to those cloudy conditions. Then, by late May we usually get a string of cloudless days and maple leaves in full sun are suddenly ODed on sunlight and get a flush of redishness - anthocyanin - that persists.

Acer shirasawanum 'full moon' aurem strangely lacks this capacity to redden and this, I think, is the principle reason it needs some protection. Autumn moon, on the other hand, has the capacity and can be kept in full sun, but will be green in shade.

There is also protective xanthophyls which give leaves yellow coloring. Unlike anthocyanins that are located in tissues over the photocenters, xanthophyls are incorporated into the photocenter itself and divert electrons away from the thylakoids. Alpine conifers load up on xanthophyls going into fall to protect the chlorophyl through the winter. This is why Japanese white pine needles, for example, are yellow in winter. 'Full moon' aurem has a high level of xanthophyls which is part of why the foliage is a luscious limy green.

... very simplistically speaking.

Top Bottom