Azalia questions

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently found an azalia that was in a back corner of a nursery with a nice trunk but no low growth, just a sucker. Can they take a trunk chop without leaving any green? It is budding up high. Its about 4" thick and 3' tall but has been cut back. It has a long whip from the top, 10' or longer. So if I chop it to around a foot, it would be a thick, powerfull trunk. Its nursery bag is shot, with thick roots hanging out and needs potting badly. So how much torture can they take? My phone wouldnt let me post a pic. But I will try again. I need a crash course in azalias, if possible. As always, thanks for any pointers. Im in the tropics and dry season starts soon, but it wont get below 60°f at night. No frost or cold issues should be a problem.​

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Not sure who this guy is but you might learning something from these... No idea whether azaleas that grow in your climate will react the same as they do here???
Azaleas - I think there are 9 videos in the playlist

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric,

on our side, we grow the azaleas in a mix of peat moss and perlite [ standard bagged stuff from Canada ]
If you get them happy, they will bud all over safely.
No need to chop.
Additionally why not air layer when it is happy.

Also when happy, they begin to sprout at the base, creating new plants.

Hope you get a nice colour and a small flower, all we can grow has large flowers, but who cares,
they are beautiful.
Good Day
Anthony

* We keep them in huge pots and just after so many years cut off a 1/3 of the soil around, adding fresh peat moss soil mix.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the help, I will read the link. My phone says it doesnt have enough memory to post a pic. Which really sucks. I erased a ton of pics and apps and still not enough memory. And I want to show you what I did with the big fused, twisted trunk ficus I posted. I reverse chopped it. It had so many air roots from up high that I chopped off the untwisted canopy and made an instant banyan. It has crossing trunks that make a hole in the center. I have to chase back the foliage and grow new branches. It didnt loose a leaf from having 3' cut out from under all those roots. It looks a lot more like bonsai now and will be better when I can chop the branches. Its a foot or so tall now. Idk what to do with the bottom 3' left over its fugly. Anyway I will work on the pics problem. Id love to show both trees here and a couple fat bougies. I got one with the azalia about the same size or thicker. Id like to know where to chop it too.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chop it just before your spring if you have one or the start of your growing season.

Need pics to be abe to advise on where to chop.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chop it just before your spring if you have one or the start of your growing season.

Need pics to be abe to advise on where to chop.
Here its always growing season, you just have to water in dry season. Dry season will start any day now. Maybe today, it hasnt rained all day.
Im going to try posting pics again. Thanks for the tips!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, it let me post pics. So here's what I have to work with. Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20161110_112111.jpg
    IMG_20161110_112111.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20161110_112041.jpg
    IMG_20161110_112041.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20161110_112149.jpg
    IMG_20161110_112149.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 30

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Eric,
Its always growing season in Costa Rica? You are giving me a bad case of ''climate zone envy''. We had our first significant snow. It is mostly melting, but got over an inch.

The link to John G's videos, that he gave you should really help you. John is a great azalea grower, his videos are fantastic.

Okay, looking at the photos. If it were mine, I would repot it right away, as Anthony said, put it in a perlite-peat moss blend. I would use more perlite than peat, say 2/3rds perlite, 1/3rd peat. I sift the perlite over a window screen to eliminate fines. I am able to get a fairly coarse grade of perlite. Sift the peat also. In the end, for both, more will go through the screen than stay on top, add the fine stuff to your growing bed for vegetables.

At home I use a blend of Kanuma and perlite, but I know you can't get Kanuma or pumice easily. So use peat moss.

I would pot this into a large diameter but shallow pot, say 15 inches by only 4 or 5 inches deep.

Don't chop it now. Let the growth it has force it to make a large root system. Then either 6 months or a year from now, do the trunk shop. It should be bushy with hundreds of leaves before you do the chop. That way it will explode with back budding. If you chop now, with the weak root system, you may not get much in the way of back budding.

I would assume the azalea is a hybrid with one of the more tropical azalea species in its background, like Rhododendron simsii. So I'll assume it will handle your warm climate. After it settles in, you will get a feel for when it is putting out spring like growth. You will have to adjust from John's videos the timing of what you do, but his videos should really help you.

Nice find.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Leo. Its true, its always growing season if you water during dry season. The amount of light only changes 1/2 hour all year, 12 hours and change all year. So some trees loose leaves for the wet, and some in dry season. Corteza amarillas are about to bloom, and from a high spot the yellow flowers give the jungle golden spots in the canopy. Too bad the leaves are too big for our purposes.
Its also true that I'm probably headed for the States to make money. I want my son to have the best I can provide and thats not here. So I have to fight my ex in court for shared custody. And pay a years child support ahead before I can leave. Then I may be back and forth some. So for now I'm going to keep my trees and learn from them then leave them with friends who love my sticks in pots. All my fruits like jaboticaba and pitanga will go in the ground in my lot.
The sad part is that mom lives in NC, where it gets pretty cold for a Fl guy. But she needs me too. So sooner or later I'm outa here. And I'll start over with bonsai in a week or less. I even have real tools waiting for me...
I'm sure I can find dogwoods, azalias, oaks, pines and more in NC to dig up. And I can get some ficus too, just bring them in for the winter. At least I've learned on cheap or free trees and am more confident.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@eferguson1974 - bummer, and or good news about the move, there is a lot of good bonsai activity in NC, especially if you can get over to the Arboretum in Asheville. Arthur Joura is curator and there is quite a bonsai community that has built up around the area. The NC Arb collection is excellent.

I don't think of my trees as always being mine, all are only temporary residents in my garden. If any of mine are good enough, others will continue with them. We are all only temporary custodians of our trees. (even if we only take them from seedling to compost heap) There are some advantages to starting over, there are mistakes you won't make with the second collection. And your tastes have probably evolved, you will be able to focus on your favorites. So in many ways, good news.

Top Bottom