Black Pine from Seed

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I decided to try my hand at seeds this Spring so I got some JBP seeds (as well as Trident Maple). From what I have been reading, they do not need cold stratification? The maples do, but the black pines do not?

If anyone has a good link on where to get this information from please share it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I haven't cold stratified pine seed and have had high germination rates. Where I run into losses are when I remove the root; then it's about 50%, but the trees that survive have better flare. I'd rather cull at this stage than after spending 5-10 years developing something with a flawed base.

Articles:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/seed.htm
Bonsai Today: Issues 12, 20, 71, 83, 106

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I haven't cold stratified pine seed and have had high germination rates. Where I run into losses are when I remove the root; then it's about 50%, but the trees that survive have better flare. I'd rather cull at this stage than after spending 5-10 years developing something with a flawed base.

Articles:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/seed.htm
Bonsai Today: Issues 12, 20, 71, 83, 106
Duh, Brents site. Should have known that. Ok well I'll give it a shot then, when do you usually sow them? March? April? Different climates I guess but just curious.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm glad I checked this thread. I was about to stratify mine in the fridge (and probably still will since it won't hurt and they've already soaked). I follow the technique outlined in the Pines book (and earlier Bonsai Today articles). The best pictorial thread I've seen is at http://bonsaistudygroup.com/japanes...growing-mikawa-japanese-black-pine-from-seed/ . He's a few years ahead of me, but that's what I do (or what I will be doing).

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just sowed a number of types of seeds earlier this week. I did not stratify as, while my climate is mild, we will still be cold for a while before spring gets here. Last time I tried growing seed I did the whole cold stratify thing with very poor results. Trying the more natural way this time.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To update this thread, I did not cold stratify seeds and a few have sprouted already. I'll try and post a picture tonight.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In about a month you should cut the roots, or even sooner, like as soon as the first true leaves start emerging. Check BT#21 or the Stone Lantern Pine book for instructions if you don't already have them. Use a razor blade or extremely sharp knife (like a brand new exacto) treat with rooting hormone and plant in bonsai soil with a small hole in the center of the surface filled with sand. 20 years from now you'll thank yourself.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In about a month you should cut the roots, or even sooner, like as soon as the first true leaves start emerging. Check BT#21 or the Stone Lantern Pine book for instructions if you don't already have them. Use a razor blade or extremely sharp knife (like a brand new exacto) treat with rooting hormone and plant in bonsai soil with a small hole in the center of the surface filled with sand. 20 years from now you'll thank yourself.

Yup, I have the pines book and will be performing the cuttings like you said. Looking forward to more sprouts by then hopefully.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that my opinion about this problem is minority but personally I feel that for chuhins and big trees, there is no use making cuttings one month after germination. On the contrary, I let them grow in the deepest pot possible (at least 20 cm to have a straight top root, then one year after I cut all the root except those localized on a 2 cm height (I choose the 2 cms with most roots) and put them in a not very draining mix. At that stage, they usually can't take enough water to stay turgescent if in a sunny place so I put them on a shaded area for about two weeks. This year, in about 30 of them, I have lost none.
As for the result, you can see this post http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?5537-Japanese-Red-Pine-question. I can show more pics on a French forum.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know that my opinion about this problem is minority but personally I feel that for chuhins and big trees, there is no use making cuttings one month after germination. On the contrary, I let them grow in the deepest pot possible (at least 20 cm to have a straight top root, then one year after I cut all the root except those localized on a 2 cm height (I choose the 2 cms with most roots) and put them in a not very draining mix. At that stage, they usually can't take enough water to stay turgescent if in a sunny place so I put them on a shaded area for about two weeks. This year, in about 30 of them, I have lost none.
As for the result, you can see this post http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?5537-Japanese-Red-Pine-question. I can show more pics on a French forum.
Merci Alan. Definitely conflicting with a lot of people but I have put thought into doing some cuttings and some leaving as is. So you keep them in pots for 3-4 seasons then pop them in the ground?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repot them again at two years later (age 3), then keep them tree more years in a pot ~10 liter before putting them in the ground.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Actually, I think that if you do as Alain mentions that you're probably accomplishing the same thing at a different stage. The important thing is to start the roots splitting, but with ten years or more to work on it you can get it done in various ways. The flare at the base doesn't just magically appear after you do the seedling cutting. That only accomplishes the start of the start. When they're two years old I do about what Alain is describing by cutting the roots way back, spreading them out and wiring the trunk all at once. Then into a pond basket for 5 years.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How late is too late to make seedling cuttings. I did about half a while ago, but I have some that are still in their seed pots that should be taken too. If not, should I slip pot them into slightly larger pots or leave them in the seed trays?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well I ended up making only 6 cuttings, and two didn't make it. The others are growing well though so I thought I'd update. Any one else want to share if they grew JBP this spring? I'd love to see how everyone's batches are going.

JBP_seeds_08.08.2012_1.jpg

JBP_seeds_08.08.2012_2.jpg

JBP_seeds_08.08.2012_3.jpg

JBP_seeds_08.08.2012_4.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are my paltry 3-year-old JBP, germinated in '09, root-cut that spring, then grown in 4" pots for '10 and '11..finally transferred to the ground this spring:
Mikawa 1.jpgMikawa2.jpgMikawa3.jpg

And here are 2 5-year-old Japanese Red Pines, doing much better, 3rd year in the ground:

#1 was chopped last fall, and has thrown off some decent back-budding and a little taper.
Red Pine 1.jpg

#2 is 6' tall and needs to be chopped back this fall. Problem is, a few tridents are in front of them and will shade them out if I'm not careful.
Red Pine 2.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for sharing BVF. That first red pine looks like it does have good start to taper. Any reason why the black pines don't seem like there is any movement wired into them?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for sharing BVF. That first red pine looks like it does have good start to taper. Any reason why the black pines don't seem like there is any movement wired into them?

Cuz there isn't...gonna let them grow and chop to create movement over the next few years, like with #1 red pine. I don't care for the wired pine trunk look.

Last edited:

Matt1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi there, I am new to this forum. I just got approved yesterday. You were the first person that I decided to read about. I have to go to work soon, so i have not read alot but i am very interested in your blog. I too also started a blog about growing bonsai from seeds. As soon as I get home tonight I am going to read your whole blog. thanks.

Matt
My blogg

I decided to try my hand at seeds this Spring so I got some JBP seeds (as well as Trident Maple). From what I have been reading, they do not need cold stratification? The maples do, but the black pines do not?

If anyone has a good link on where to get this information from please share it.

Top Bottom