Bonsai bench construction question

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm building two new benches out of 2x4's based off of @jeremy_norbury benches. Hoping I can have these for a little while.

I have a question regarding the horizontal frames/platforms and how they're constructed with 2x4 benches. I'm seeing two different methods of construction where in the first example the horizontal frame sits on top of the vertical legs, and the second example where the horizontal frame is screwed into the side of the vertical legs. Is the first example stronger? Would a pocket joint connection be fine for connecting the vertical legs to the frame in the first example (pocket holes concealed on the inside)? Finally, does it not really matter, and am I over thinking this? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
He was earlier this morning. I sent him a PM too. Hoping to get a couple opinions if possible :)

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
He was earlier this morning. I sent him a PM too. Hoping to get a couple opinions if possible :)
When you use a members name in your post with the @ sign, they will get a alert that they have been mentioned in a post. So, that's why I posted his name in your thread, good luck with ur benches man!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry, I have a job and after my job I have a wine. TGIF etc.

Neither of those implementation are true to my original design - doesn't make them wrong, they're just not how I did it.

Does this help?

2009-bench1 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

09052009570 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Frame ON a post will always be stronger than a frame screwed into the side of a post. It probably doesn't matter for bonsai though, unless you're putting a bunch of big trees on it.
Pocket screws are definitely overdoing it, and likely not as strong as framing type construction. Just use 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" exterior/decking screws (depending on the thickness of the materials) and you'll be fine for years.
Don't forget to post pic of the finished bench, with some trees on it!
CW

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Frame ON a post will always be stronger than a frame screwed into the side of a post. It probably doesn't matter for bonsai though, unless you're putting a bunch of big trees on it.
Pocket screws are definitely overdoing it, and likely not as strong as framing type construction. Just use 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" exterior/decking screws (depending on the thickness of the materials) and you'll be fine for years.
Don't forget to post pic of the finished bench, with some trees on it!
CW

I'm plan on using deck screws on almost everything. But, the connection of concern is the frame to the vertical legs. Since the frame 2x4's will be sitting on top of the legs a 3.5" deck screw will only just make it through the frame in "4" part of the 2x4 (and not into the leg to secure them together). That's why I was think pocket holes just for that connection, or maybe a small wooden strap piece on the inside that screws into the frame and leg.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Evan, I think you are talking about a butt joint where the cross member is on top of your leg/support piece ......why not use a cross lap joint. That's what I used on my "work" bench (in back ground of photo below).
I looked at making a display bench out of pressure treated materials similar to Jerry's design but all on one level.....however, when I priced out everything and compared the price of cement blocks and planks the latter come in much cheaper.
Photo attached
Cheers
image.jpeg

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Remember if you can to make the top slotted to allow for drainage. If solid and your pot has no feet the water will pool between the top and the bottom of the pot and back up into the pot causing root rot.

Just my 1.68 cents worth.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey Jeremy............"Sorry, I have a job and after my job I have a wine. TGIF etc"

Red perhaps?. TGIF = never just one glass ......might even be a bottle lol. I see that I need to hide the beverage before photo's.....then again now that I'm retired every day can be TGIF

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Jeremy............"Sorry, I have a job and after my job I have a wine. TGIF etc"

Red perhaps?. TGIF = never just one glass ......might even be a bottle lol. I see that I need to hide the beverage before photo's.....then again now that I'm retired every day can be TGIF
Every day, you say? It's been every day here for years.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's why I was think pocket holes just for that connection, or maybe a small wooden strap piece on the inside that screws into the frame and leg.

Don't use the strap piece unless you secure it with clamps and a good exterior wood glue(in addition to screws) and let it set at least 48 hours. It will be a strong joint done properly. What type of wood are you using? It looks to me @jeremy_norbury is using all cedar and that is a little different to work with initially but far more resilient over time.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I used pressure treated pine for the frame and bangkirai (aka balau) decking planks. It's just what they sell here in the DIY store...

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
His benches look almost as nice as his trees! Excellent job Jeremy, maybe you should get another job and drink more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
His benches look almost as nice as his trees! Excellent job Jeremy, maybe you should get another job and drink more.
Cheers.

It wasn't until I came up with the benches that my bonsai started improving.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So the investment in the nice benches forced you to up your tree game. Nice thinking. Kidding aside, I love your trees, photos and now the benches, my hat is off to you. What else are you going to show us up on?

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm using a full cedar frame, still undecided about what material for the tops. maybe composite.

Mortise frame and tenon legs. cross supports will be held in with decking screws.

will try to take some pics;)

Top Bottom