Bonsai moss?

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just purchased some bonsai "super moss" for my Fukien Tea and Jade for relatively cheap, so if it fails....eh. Any way, I have a layer of (I have no idea what it's called) we'll call it small rocks, on top of what ever else is layered beneath. Beneath by the way feels more gritty, like sand but more of your potting soil consistency. Do I need to remove the rocks on top (not glued by the way) for the moss to thrive? Also for my jade, the soil mix for this one is almost mulch like. Also because I let the jade dry out so much before watering, would moss, could moss live with the jade? Possibly mist the moss a bit through out the week? Thanks!3 28DEC2016 2.jpg 28DEC2016 2.jpg

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a layer of (I have no idea what it's called) we'll call it small rocks,

It's called Turface. Moss grows on just about anything it just takes the right conditions.

Moss might not be a fantastic idea. Moss helps keep moisture in the soil. Good in Summer! Being indoors like they are the soil probably is not drying out too much.

You could do it but you will have to check your soil carfully every day to see if you need to water.

Personally I removed any moss I had on my tropicals when they came inside. This was done for easier indoor winter care.

Note: I keep all my moss in some growing trays outside during winter. I will need that moss again when it gets warm :D

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So, is there just regular potting soil under the top coat on the Fukien tea or bonsai soil? If it is just potting soil, I would not put the moss on it, it would stay too wet. Wait until after a repot into better soil before putting on moss.

I would not put any around the jade, if it stays too wet the jade will rot.

John

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So, is there just regular potting soil under the top coat on the Fukien tea or bonsai soil?

John
No no, I was just trying to explain what it felt like. I need to do more research on substrates. The Fukien Tea came from a very reputable greenhouse/bonsai business locally.

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's called Turface. Moss grows on just about anything it just takes the right conditions.

Moss might not be a fantastic idea. Moss helps keep moisture in the soil. Good in Summer! Being indoors like they are the soil probably is not drying out too much.
Soil is actually drying quite rapidly. I have a lot of air flow to the trees I keep. For instance, I need to water my Fukien Tea every 6 days and my Jade every 7-8 days....I let that one get bone dry. Curious though. How do you overwinter your moss/Turface specifically?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Moss is green soil cover plant. "Turface" is medium used for soil. Big difference. Watering so seldom moss will likely brown but can green up with several days watering. In your case likely better not to use as not keeping moss damp regularly;).

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
No no, I was just trying to explain what it felt like. I need to do more research on substrates. The Fukien Tea came from a very reputable greenhouse/bonsai business locally.

ok, good luck with it. I do not think moss will do well indoors, however I have not tried. It needs a lot of water and if your mix is not fast draining enough the amount of water for the moss will be too much for the tree.

John

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use lava rock or expanded shale as a soil covering sometimes. Moss seems to grow on to it over time, on a couple of my trees.

I just pull the moss clumps off and place them in plastic tray on some sifted fines. Toss a couple leaves over the top and call it good. I do water the moss a bit more than my trees. Seems to work OK.

I am sure there are better ways though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I store my moss on the ground!

6 days between watering is way too long to add moss.

I wouldn't use it on either.

I would try to grow it inside though, separate.
Had luck last year...this year...
Can't get it right.

After you repot into free draining soil, I mean real loose.....you'll probly like some on it to ease into the new watering schedule.

Sorce

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
As the Root System dries out the Tree Stress's and then dies...

Water is Life to a Bonsai, it is the most critical element of Bonsai Gardening...

Moss helps retain Moisture...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This how we keep moss -

[1] Get brick that is porous, rest moss on it, wet when needed. Our moss grows well in sunlight.

[2] Place moss on soil surface only a week before an Exhibition. No need to grow on Bonsai.

Learn to keep your trees HEALTHY first and later on, learn to Design [ take art classes if need be ]

Want to experiment ------------ take cuttings, try different soil mixes and anything else you can think of.

Please do not experiment on the Mother Plant.

Why the stone and stick ?
Leave the soil simple --------------- learn first.
Good Luck.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh Culper,

just in case you didn't know Fukien Tea is a hedging plant.
So your objective is get the plant very dense in preparation for beginning the Design.
The shrub is still too sparse.

No fertiliser until Spring or if you must organic pellets of oil seed meal.
Good Luck
Good Day
Anthony

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why the stone and stick ?
I let my daughter choose some things out of a box of random "decorative" items they had at the greenhouse. She came back with the stone and the stick. More sentimental than art. I felt the two items she picked would fit the aesthetics of a Jade Afra before a Fukien Tea since it givres it a desert look, but I gave her the choice and that's what she picked. She's 5 years old, but she's taking to watching me bonsai here recently. Maybe, if I'm fortunate, I can pass on to her the Fukien Tea. It seems like a tough tree to keep though.

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update: Applied moss to Juniper, Fukien Tea and Jade. The Juniper received a full cover. The Fukien Tea received only on the rock and drift wood (hope it works)...and the Jade also received a bit of moss on a décor rock type ornament. Ill keep you posted on anything developments.

Top Bottom