Bonsaijack soil 221

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Anyone ever use this? I got my hand on 65lbs of it cheap and never used but it's close to what I make myself - 40% pumice - 40% calcified clay (akadama whattobe?) and 20% sifted bark. I've been using 1-1-1 pumice/lava/sifted bark. anyone know what calcified clay is?

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These guys sent me to free bags of there stuff to try out for posting on there FB page. seem like good folks. and the soil looks nice to. I can't wait for spring to put something in it.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone ever use this? I got my hand on 65lbs of it cheap and never used but it's close to what I make myself - 40% pumice - 40% calcified clay (akadama whattobe?) and 20% sifted bark. I've been using 1-1-1 pumice/lava/sifted bark. anyone know what calcified clay is?

Where did you find it in VA beach?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Turface is calcined clay. That mix seems like it would be a little water retentive.

actually - I think it's the opposite as the only thing that really holds water is the bark and it's a low percentage - I'm most likely going to add akadama to it per species requirements.

Where did you find it in VA beach?

craigslist of all places - always keep an eye out for deals

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
actually - I think it's the opposite as the only thing that really holds water is the bark and it's a low percentage - I'm most likely going to add akadama to it per species requirements.
Turface holds a lot of water, even more than similarly sized akadama. Here is a study from another forum showing water holding capacity for common substrates we use.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
That's their organic blend and I believe they recommend it for tree's that will be re-potted every 2-3yrs. I use the 221 but I mix it with their inorganic at 10%. All of their soil is extremely well draining and my tree's absolutely thrived last year with soil from Bonsai Jack....

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bonsai jack is good stuff. I like the Calcined clay as it holds a fair amount of water, but doent break down in a season like kakadama does here.

Aaron

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've been using it for a few years. It's good stuff.

Top Bottom