California Juniper First Styling

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just thought I would share. The first picture was only 2 years ago. This tree is very fast growing for a California Juniper. The second picture was two weeks ago prior to wiring. Last pic is after wiring. Still working on my wiring but and I am mostly happy with the progress. The lower left branch is too straight in the picture but I have worked on it since and the lower right branch is a bar branch but not ready to cut off yet.

Any other critiques are welcome. Does anyone think the tree is too tall?

Attachments

• S Juni e.jpg
    S Juni e.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 20141121_135737_resized.jpg
    20141121_135737_resized.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_4768.JPG
    IMG_4768.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 421

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome material Thomas,

Too tall can be solved bringing that trunk down.

I think if you put twice as many coils on that main trunk, You could get more movement in it, and maybe bring it right down under where it currently resides! Nestled into the curves at the top. With the apex just under the top of the jins.

That's where I thought it was going after seeing the second pic.

This tree has exceptional potential. Every time I look at the pic I am more amazed!
To awesome to not. ........2015-02-27_03.51.21.jpg

Great caretaking, fantastic growth!

Sorce

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for you input Sorce. I haven't really thought of that design but have thought of forming the foliage completely below the big bends sort of in the area of the guy wire. Your advice definitely gives me something to think about.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I'm with Sorce...great material as well as some stuff in the bg. I too think you can get that trunk to come way down.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That trunk is so dope I didn't even notice the guy wire!

If you would be so kind, this tree deserves an around the horn photo shoot.

I just noticed the "dragon" playfully flying through the "cloud" of foilage in my virt.

Having that foilage outline those seemingly perfectly tapered sexy curves will make this thing bang, IMO.

The taper is so even, moving from the base up, through the bends, which move you through the canopy, you can go right back down to the base.

As it is, my eye goes to the top and kind of falls off the roller coaster ride, with really no interest in going back down, because it is all exposed so you can see the path, not "need to find it", which holds interest.

I wish more folks would comment, it's a big undertaking, I'd like to know if folks that know California Juniper find this a feasible task!

If you could get that trunk tucked under this season, while it's still rather pliable, a couple more good years of growth and this thing will show excellence in short order.

Sorry to ramble, I feel like I'm pushing my idea on you.
I just really dig the movement in that trunk, another one the s-curve Mallsai TRY to be. Aaahhhh!
It's beautiful!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And Thomas!

Happy BNUT Anniversary!

Sorce

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the ramble Sorce. I did a vert of what I think your idea is. I don't think I would have to bend down the trunk to accomplish you idea because I have enough branches to work with. There are a couple of nice back branches you can't really see in the pictures. I also will include my vert, which I still like, and one sort of in the middle. I do agree about my design drawing the eye from the nice trunk but it does have some elegance. Maybe we could get a few people's opinion.

Attachments

• S juni vert6.jpg
    S juni vert6.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 323
  • S juni vert4.jpg
    S juni vert4.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 299
  • S Juni Vert 5.jpg
    S Juni Vert 5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 301

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided I do not want to go in the direction of the first styling. I have not really touched the tree since because I have not decided which way to take this tree. Attached are three pictures. First is how the tree looks today. Second is option A and third is option B. I am leaning in one direction but wanted to get opinions before I pulled the trigger. If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

2016-08-31 03.44.44.jpg S juni vert7.jpg S juni vert 15.jpg

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow thats going to be hard. I like them both. Sorry no help here.

Rick

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Of the two, I like option A. B looks too contrived.

But, make the apex of the foliage much more rounded. Not pointed. It's ok to have a Jin antenna sticking up above the foliage. I would also grow out a branch to come back behind the deadwood on the right side. Dead wood always looks best with green foliage behind it, setting it off.

Next thing, you need to start working on managing the root ball. You don't want to continue to grow it with the trunk so close to the edge of the pot. You want to grow roots all around. And, in a shallower pot. So, at this point, it's better to go wider, but shallower. I'd go with a box! Later, you can start choosing a pot.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd go with A too just not so many individual small pads- more connected and full looking but still distintive levels, less is more and gives better aged apperance.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the two, I like option A. B looks too contrived.

But, make the apex of the foliage much more rounded. Not pointed. It's ok to have a Jin antenna sticking up above the foliage. I would also grow out a branch to come back behind the deadwood on the right side. Dead wood always looks best with green foliage behind it, setting it off.

Next thing, you need to start working on managing the root ball. You don't want to continue to grow it with the trunk so close to the edge of the pot. You want to grow roots all around. And, in a shallower pot. So, at this point, it's better to go wider, but shallower. I'd go with a box! Later, you can start choosing a pot.

Nice response Adair. Lots of good info and some thing for me to think about. This tree will go in a wood training box next spring. I was hoping to get some wire on it prior to repot but I need to have a plan first.

The pads on both verts are not really how the tree will be styled but I'm looking to get more or less the shape of the tree.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks almost identical to a needle juniper BVF has a thread on. I'd look at this for some inspiration maybe
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/literati-tosho.24269/

I also like option a personally :)

There are some similarities by different enough that the styles could be completely different. Trust me, I'm always looking for inspiration for this tree and to be honest I was leaning towards option B. I will try a few more virts in the next few days.
Nice tree! Great virts!
@sorce @thomas22
What are you guys using for these virts?i love 6. Perfect!
I love 6 ?
Here is what I use for verts.
https://pixlr.com/editor/

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still like my first or your 6/in post 7 best.

That option B is just backwards, the foilage would Probly never grow back toward the trunk....
The other way maybe....but then it would be an M. And I'd have to tag it with my Government name! I'm not into that!

Sorce

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think those tilts are a bit too drastic but @wireme you got me thinking. I went out and got a pic with a 4'' block under the left side of the pot and I saw some potential. The tilt to the right allows the foliage to be more central and not so much to one side of the tree. I did a quick vert and it definitely give the tree a different feel but I like it. Maybe the 17th time is a charm. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• S juni vert 17c.jpg
    S juni vert 17c.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 241
Top Bottom