As usual, prep the pot
IMG_4747.jpeg

Pliers to pinch the wrapping point together with bottom anchor

IMG_4749.jpeg
Mesh over hole, wires through mesh

IMG_4748.jpeg
Fold and press to secure mesh over drainage screen

IMG_4750.jpeg
Anchor wires (for tree stabilizing/ positioning)

IMG_4752.jpeg
Slip each end of both wires through mesh and to their respective sides of the pot for tying/twisting off soon

IMG_4751.jpeg
IMG_4753.jpeg
Add base layer of soil

IMG_4754.jpeg
When root system has been poked, cleared of soil from outer and inner roots (leaving core untouched), selective reduction of roots and press/rock tree into base layer of soil, getting soil particles deep into root system

Join opposing anchor wires, twist tightly with pliers (avoid wrapping pliers into wire 😇), cut ends with wire cutters, and press them down into the root system/ soil. Complete soil application by pouring and poking/pressing with chopstick/rake tweezers.

IMG_4756.jpeg
IMG_4757.jpeg
IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4759.jpeg
IMG_4777.jpeg
Minor tweak at left to raise foliage and complete left slope to apex, Biogold teabag tied to wire, and the initial styling of composition is complete

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks more than a bit like Napoleon's hat. You're failing to see what this tree can become. Study more juniper bonsai. Choose a show that has trees in it that you like. Consider what it would take to get from hither to yon.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks more than a bit like Napoleon's hat. You're failing to see what this tree can become. Study more juniper bonsai. Choose a show that has trees in it that you like. Consider what it would take to get from hither to yon.
There is no failure. The tree has become what it desires to be and according to what I desire to contribute. It is what it is, and it is beautiful. Nothing changes that.

Your desire and imagination must remain unique to who you are and is not imposed subjectively.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Now I can't unsee it 🥲

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice documentation. It looks like you took a lot of roots off. Will you be letting the tree recover this season and style it next spring?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is no failure. The tree has become what it desires to be and according to what I desire to contribute. It is what it is, and it is beautiful. Nothing changes that.

Your desire and imagination must remain unique to who you are and is not imposed subjectively.
For me, bonsai is all about movement, like from hither to yon as @bwaynef said. The state of "it is what it is" is elusive. The tree lives and is constantly becoming a new version of itself. I try to understand and anticipate where and how it will develop. By changing my perception / plan for the tree, I continue to grow too. That's my approach anyway.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For me, bonsai is all about movement, like from hither to yon as @bwaynef said. The state of "it is what it is" is elusive. The tree lives and is constantly becoming a new version of itself. I try to understand and anticipate where and how it will develop. By changing my perception / plan for the tree, I continue to grow too. That's my approach anyway.
Thanks! It’s fitting nicely into the style and form for the near future.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There’s definitely a time to respect the tree and it’s almost always best to work with the tree. That said, this material is mass produced with no thought to artistry. There’s more to bonsai than potting up nursery material. This tree has no structure. You have to give the tree that.

I feel like we’re approaching things from too different a place that there’s not much conversation that can happen. Enjoy your plant.

coffee

Seed
Reaction score
There’s definitely a time to respect the tree and it’s almost always best to work with the tree. That said, this material is mass produced with no thought to artistry. There’s more to bonsai than potting up nursery material. This tree has no structure. You have to give the tree that.

I feel like we’re approaching things from too different a place that there’s not much conversation that can happen. Enjoy your plant.

This feels like a fairly dramatic response. Plenty of people do clip and grow, it's all subjective.

Top Bottom