DIY reflector box for indoor bonsai lighting..

dannylightning

Yamadori
Reaction score
I took 4 small white cardboard boxes and some packing tape and put this together. The plant is pretty well evenly lit all over, even the back of the plant is getting a nice amount of light. White is a great reflector for light. The light is just a clamp on work light that i picked up from harbor freight for a few bucks with a philips daylight deluxe 5600k cfl bulb in it..

i am gonna guess since there is a humidity tray under the plant and the box makes it sort of a enclosed area it may help the plant with humidity too.. i put my humidity gauge in there and it hasn't changed yet but its probably not a very accurate gauge... there are a few of them around the house and if you put them all next to each other in the same room they all give different readings so i am not sure if it will help with that or not but it seems like it wold..

i am pretty sure this is gonna help the plant get plenty of light whiles its indoors for the winter.

20161125-IMG_0322.jpg

dannylightning

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice! Now line that beast in some foil!

Aaron
I wouldn't do that. White works. Foil will create hot spots because it's hard to get completely flat. It's also not as reflective as you may think.

The white seems to do the job and provides nice even lightning.. I think its good the way it is...

the hygrometer is now reading 3% higher humidity inside of the reflector box so i guess my theory was correct.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
there are a few of them around the house and if you put them all next to each other in the same room they all give different readings so i am not sure if it will help with that or not but it seems like it wold..

I have three meters on one wall at different heights and yes they do and should read differently. Others in the same room for plants also read differently. The room has an air filter, ceiling fan running in reverse, and a humidifier. The heat is constant as well as everything running on timers but the placement of shelves, plants, amount of water required creates separate micro climates. Monitored it helps us to select the best areas to keep different plant types in and it works nicely.

Edit: I would recommend a plastic wire tie around that clamp on the light. They easily come off when bumped or moved.

Grimmy

dannylightning

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have three meters on one wall at different heights and yes they do and should read differently. Others in the same room for plants also read differently. The room has an air filter, ceiling fan running in reverse, and a humidifier. The heat is constant as well as everything running on timers but the placement of shelves, plants, amount of water required creates separate micro climates. Monitored it helps us to select the best areas to keep different plant types in and it works nicely.

Edit: I would recommend a plastic wire tie around that clamp on the light. They easily come off when bumped or moved.

Grimmy

Thanks.. that light clamps on quite firm but i took precautions anyways.. there is a block of wood screwed onto the side of my book shelf.. the light is clamped on to the block of wood. i have a couple screws sticking out the sides of the block of wood so if the light should slip the screws will catch it and wont let it fall off.

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was referred to your "White Box" design for my indoor tropical. Reading through this thread, it seems the white interior is really all that matters. Is their a specific reason you chose cardboard? I just picked up a 12 year old Fukien Tea/Carmona Bonsai and need to get a light fixture set up and want to build this to help with humidity. Could I use plastic or wood...just as long as its white?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Could I use plastic or wood...just as long as its white?

Yes indeed! If Danny does not respond quickly we have chatted on the phone and his setup is working just fine for him and the plant. When dealing with a single tree it is much simpler to yield good results ;)

Grimmy

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How many people have just a single tree for very long?:rolleyes:

To be fair I do have 3. Juniper I keep out doors, Jade "afra" and my new Fukien Tea indoor. All three however need different attention. My concern was for the Fukien Tea and I wanted to isolate it so it could thrive in the appropriate environment.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be fair I do have 3. Juniper I keep out doors, Jade "afra" and my new Fukien Tea indoor. All three however need different attention. My concern was for the Fukien Tea and I wanted to isolate it so it could thrive in the appropriate environment.

You could easily group the Fukien Tea (almost spelled that one incorrectly) with the Portucalaria. Depending on their soil makeup, you'll probably end up watering the Fukien Tea more often. But other than that, they should do just fine living side by side with one another.

Get yourself a 4 bank, two foot HighOutput T5 light bank. that will suffice for your indoor growing. If you have the space (and money) of course. Some deals are to be had on eBay and such.

Lynn Cardwell

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm the new girl on the block - live in Devon, UK. I have only recently got the Bonsai bug (coupla months or so). Anyhow about the light box - I will be growing C4 trees, (Flamboyance, Californian Peppers, Dawn Redwoods) tropicals to us in UK. Thinking about setting up lightbox for our winter months, but wonder whether trees will get the rest and recuperation they will need if they are constantly subjected to light. Any thoughts on this anyone?

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm the new girl on the block - live in Devon, UK. I have only recently got the Bonsai bug (coupla months or so). Anyhow about the light box - I will be growing C4 trees, (Flamboyance, Californian Peppers, Dawn Redwoods) tropicals to us in UK. Thinking about setting up lightbox for our winter months, but wonder whether trees will get the rest and recuperation they will need if they are constantly subjected to light. Any thoughts on this anyone?

FWIW my Dawn Redwoods stay outside all year round. They drop needles in the winter, and explode with growth in the summer. I'm pretty sure your winters are milder than ours. Keep that Dawn Redwood outside! The rest, I don't know...

If by Dawn Redwood, you mean Bald Cypress... then yes, that would be considered a tropical...

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You could easily group the Fukien Tea (almost spelled that one incorrectly) with the Portucalaria. Depending on their soil makeup, you'll probably end up watering the Fukien Tea more often. But other than that, they should do just fine living side by side with one another.

Get yourself a 4 bank, two foot HighOutput T5 light bank. that will suffice for your indoor growing. If you have the space (and money) of course. Some deals are to be had on eBay and such.

I just got done with the first phase of the set up. I'm am trying to map out the best white box for humidity. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Attachments

• 1481932624232761808974.jpg
    1481932624232761808974.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom