Dug to order cemetary yamadori

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I get a fair amount of my pre-bonsai from local cemeteries. When they need to open a gravesite and a bush is in the way they haul it out and throw it in their trash/dirt pile.

With their permission, I collect the fresh or interesting material that I find there. Timing is key. A couple of the cemeteries have my # and text me when they pull something and I go take a look, and collect it or not.

Today I was speaking with the crew at one cemetery (where some family is planted) and they said "We don't really like all these bushes, tell us which ones you want and we'll dig them out for you with our backhoe" The top of my head almost came off, but I stayed calm and said that I would look around and let them know.

Just had to tell someone that. Someone who bonsai's.

So I'll map out the ones I want and put them to their word. I'm a bit worried about their back hoe techniques, so I have to find a way to ask for some care without sounding like an ass. Maybe they'd let me hand dig, but I relish the back hoe's help.

Pics of the targets, before and after should follow soon.
CW

P. S. I get some granite slabs and marble from this cemetery as well. Half my back yard came from them.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've thought about doing some collecting at some local cemeteries.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've thought about doing some collecting at some local cemeteries.
Old one's that allow plantings are good. Even those toss out the potted Christmas trees so I've gotten some Dwarf Alberta Spruce that way.
And Jewish cemeteries have a lot of Yew for some reason.
CW

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Jewish cemeteries have a lot of Yew for some reason.
Remembered reading this.... Not exactly specific to Judaism but interesting none the less....
"Yews were planted at religious sites because there long life was suggestive of eternity and or because being toxic they were seen as trees of death. Another suggested explanation is that yews were planted to discourage farmers and drovers from letting animals wander on to the burial grounds, the poisonous foliage being the disincentive. A further possible reason is that fronds and branches of yews were often used as a substitute for palms on Palm Sunday."

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So the main talking points:

When collecting stuff from local cemeteries when gravesites are open,
timing is key
you want it fresh
or at least interesting
stay calm - you don't want the top of any heads popping off
it's hard to find a way to ask for help
if necessary, dig by hand
bonus: you can also sometimes score free granite slabs and marble

I have my next lecture half written!

I hope no one takes any of it out of context.

Top Bottom