eBay Seller plant1onme

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I purchased a JBP pre-bonsai from this seller at the beginning of the year. I immediately had concerns about its health and started a thread about it as it was my first pine. (thread: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?13622-My-first-JBP)

Basically, I contacted the seller who told me to wait it out. I did as he instructed, which was to wait it out and see if it would bounce back. Unfortunately, the tree was most definitely dead as I (and you all) suspected. I was told to wait a number of weeks and let him know if it was indeed dead. This lead me to believe he would provide good customer service and either replace it or return my funds. I will quote our conversation below.

31 December Me: I received my tree today. I was very happy with the packaging as it arrived with no damage, however, I seriously question its health. I know it is dormant now, but the color of the foliage and candles concerns me.

1 Jan P: Hi this did come from a cold climate, So they will look like that, I do check the candle buds, if there soft and flexable, there are good , Keep outdoors in part sun only , and in 6 -8 wees it will get new fresh buds , These do shed needles as they do not keep the same ones there whole life cycle, Its just more noticable when it comes from a cold climate, , if you have any issues in the weeks to come just let us know , thans bye for now happy new years

18 Feb Me: I planted the tree in a grow box and my usual bonsai mix the day I received the tree. When I posted my pics on the forum I frequent, all the members said they thought it was dead already. what is my course of action if it does not wake up in a couple more weeks? it has not been stressed and has been cared for properly since I received it and temps are in the 70s here already. I already have buds swelling on my other trees.

19 Feb P: Hi these do come from a colder climate , so they do take longer, If they do not get new buds on the ends In the next few week just let us know , thnaks

15 Mar Me: This pine is most definitely dead. I can send pics if you like.

22 Mar Me: I sent you a message a week ago and you haven't responded. My pine is definitely dead.

28 Mar Me: I plan to contact eBay customer service on Monday to resolve this. I think I have given you a fair chance to respond.

29 Mar P: We dont replace months later, The time period is over for any retuns, or refund,

29 Mar Me: why did you tell me to let you know if it was budding in a few weeks? obviously the tree was dead when I received it and I expressed that to you in my initial messages if you refer back to them. you told me to wait. I did not receive a return or refund because you specifically told me to wait. That is unacceptable.

30 Mar P: ItS been over 3 months, a few weeks is not 3 months

30 Mar Me: Look at the first message I sent you. THE FIRST. Within 3 days, I told you it was dead. You told me to wait. On 19 Feb, you responded to another one of my concerned messages by telling me to wait a few weeks. That would have been exactly 4 weeks ago. This is absolutely terrible customer service. Review your own messages and our conversation. I am not trying to pull one over on you. I would happily keep the tree if it was alive when I got it.

You can tell from this message that I was accommodating as well as extremely gullible. I am pissed off even though I'm only out $20 bucks. I called customer service and was told that since it has passed the 90 day mark, they can't help me either. I don't fault ebay as I was unfamiliar with the claim policy and was a dumbass for thinking all folks out are decent sellers. I am just a nice guy like that. This post is to inform you of a shady person, as well as vent a little frustration.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You got played. He knows you only have 30 days (or so) to file a claim. Next time, when in doubt, file a claim w/in the 30 days. Pass the burden to the seller at that point.

Sorry you have to learn this the hard way.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You are exactly right. I usually don't buy from eBay so I wasn't aware of all the small nuances in buyer protection. Luckily, I only got burned for $20 and not for anything more. I have definitely learned my lesson.

It really wasn't about the money and more of the principle. Stuff like that just frustrates me. What ever happened to common courtesy?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It really wasn't about the money and more of the principle. Stuff like that just frustrates me. What ever happened to common courtesy?

I am with you. I fought for a lot less because of principle.

Common courtesy is sadly becoming extinct.

I filed a claim once on a some quince because it showed as delivered but I didn't get it. Also tracking showed as delivered to another city LOL. Seller issued me a refund, no questions asked. More than a week later, the package showed up. I inspected the plants and seemed healthy still so I re-sent payment. Simple.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought JPB seedlings from the same seller this year. All are now dead. Thanks for the reminder. I sent them a follow up message.

This is what I hot before.
Dear jkd2572,

Hi these come from a cold climate, So there needles do look like that in the winter, Once the new buds on the end of the plants open, they green up again, I do check all the buds on the end of the branches , If there soft and flexable , the plants are good , If there do not bud in the early spring , just let us know thanks

- plant1onme

Just sent.
Dear plant1onme,

I'm very experienced in the hobby and these are dead as all of my jpb's are pushing candles. These are firewood. Please respond in 72 hours. Please replace or refund the money. As you can see below these were promised to be good. Please don't send me this quote you sent another buyer. "29 Mar P: We dont replace months later, The time period is over for any retuns, or refund, "Thanks for your help. I hope to improve your customer service outlook on multiple bonsai blogs and sites as right now your pretty much on a warning don't buy from this guy list.

- jkd2572

Hopefully we can improve customer service and his business at the same time. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You are exactly right. I usually don't buy from eBay so I wasn't aware of all the small nuances in buyer protection. Luckily, I only got burned for $20 and not for anything more. I have definitely learned my lesson.

Sorry for your loss, I got played for $100 at house of bonsai (5 mins from my house not internet) on a lay away deal. So I also have learnt never trust anyone without any form of documentation.
I would still contact eBay and forward all sent and received messages letting them know who the seller was... May not get funds back but may help someone from being robed.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hope you get a better response than what I received. Best of luck and keep me posted.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too much work for $20 bucks.
Buy from this guy instead. Member here. Great guy. Very well known in the bonsai community. And sent me super healthy seedlings this year. He is on eBay as well. Go to his website though as it's a bit cheaper. Thanks Matt. I would never buy seedlings again from anyone again except from Matt or bill v at http://www.internationalbonsai.com

Matthew Ouwinga

Kaedebonsai.com

Last edited:

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry for your loss, I got played for $100 at house of bonsai (5 mins from my house not internet) on a lay away deal. So I also have learnt never trust anyone without any form of documentation.
I would still contact eBay and forward all sent and received messages letting them know who the seller was... May not get funds back but may help someone from being robed.

Ouch! For $100 bucks, I'd go in there in full battle rattle. Sorry that happened to you. I can't even list feedback on this guy as the item number has been closed.

I am the process of purchasing my second tree from members here. I think I will use this site before looking elsewhere as I have found those who have a real passion for bonsai like to reflect that to others and not just make a buck. That's what it's all about to me.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My deal was not the money, but I had a fun project planned for the spring and summer. Well he ruined that project. Thankfully I also purchased from Matt who is a stand up bad a%€. I can still have my little project. In our hobby it's seasonal and if you missed it you have to wait another year. Big let down. Once again thanks Matt as I am now doing it with supper healthy black and red pine seedlings.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matt and Bill are both excellent sources for seedlings (I have purchased from both).

As for the ebay seller - spread the word on the bonsai forums about your negative experience. It won't get your money back, but it may save others from losing theirs.

Chris

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a live and learn deal. Matt and bill v should be your go to until they don't. It anymore.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score

What happened? Pm me if you don't feel comfortable posting it here

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not to beat a dead horse but yea this guy took you for yours...He purposely did not respond to buy time and cancel you out. I am sorry that this occured. I appreciate that you have brought this to everyones attention. What these idiots dont realize is that we are a tight nit community who are constantly in communication with one another. This kind of stuff makes it around the community and will catch up with them.

I encourage everyone to be vocal about their experiences with anyone in Bonsai. Both good and bad. Everyone needs to be accountable and those who bust their ARSES to provide good service should be praised and recommended (Matt O, Bill, Jim Doyle, New England Bonsai, Julian Adam, Ron Lang..

Destroy Those bad peanuts! Their actions can adversely affect the culture of the art and leave folks with a bad taste in their mouth. I will remember this vendor and i will remember this thread! Shame on them!

James

robbase99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ris, I would be curious about the House of Bonsai problem you had. I had a not so great Ebay experience with them.

Rob

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I bought some trident seedlings from the same ebay seller. I'll be home this weekend to see if they've budded or if they are dead.

edit: ^ FWIW, I bought a tree from house of bonsai on ebay and had no problems, it was packed well, etc. But I have emailed and called them since with questions about additional stock and never got a reply from anyone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've only got a few JBP seedlings left until about June when the new ones are ready.

They are anywhere from 12-16" and full of needles along the trunk. You'll get a nice rootball on it too. I've never had any issues with my starters. If it dies you get a new one, period.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wanted this tree just so I could learn the basics of pine care before starting my own from seed. I will just have to learn as I go. I planted a few weeks ago with about 15 sprouts to work with so far...this turd isn't slowing me down! :cool:

Top Bottom