Ebb and Flow Thoughts?

Nellb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So recently I decided to create a small DIY ebb and flow hydroponics system to see if it will give me greater growth for some trees, then what I would normally get on my south facing 2nd story porch. The setup up I created can hold about 8 medium sized pots, pumps the water through the drain tank 4 times a day(6am-6pm Q3H) for 15 mins and once during the night at midnight. I plan to keep the water pH level around 6.0 with the hydroponic fertilizer and some of this Microbe Life sample pack that the guy at my local hydroponics store gave me to try out.

https://www.microbelifehydro.com/products/hydroponics/natural-and-organic/sample-kit/

Any plant I get, I will put in a pot with a sifted 50/50 (chicken grit and pumice/NAPPA 8822) soil mixture, so it will not be a complete shock when I repot them down the line.

My plan is to get several small trees, most likely subtropical, that like a water pH of 6.0, do not nessesarily need a dormancy period, and are overall easier to grow... Currently, I plan to root an acerola cherry cutting, I planted a few tamarind seeds that will hopefully germinate, and I have a rosemary plant I got from home depot.

The questions that I have are, what other plants would fit my plan from the paragraph above? (water pH of 6.0, subtropical/no dormancy, easily grown on a south facing porch with semi-filtered light) I was thinking a ficus might be a good idea, and I am also interested in picking up a chinese elm, but dont know how well it would work in this set up
Also I was wondering if anyone has any experience they would like to share, or comments about this type of setup?

Thanks
Dan

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 times a day seems a lot. Specially with 8822.

You co u l d probably do 3 times a day with rocks.

And "Chinese tomatoes" will grow good in there. But it's not legal there yet!

Sorce

Top Bottom