Ebihara maples

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I worked my way all around the tree
00446B2D-A88D-408B-B4E1-6F1806A20568.JPG

Cut the stronger roots back to a branch, but leave the weaker ones long. We're looking for a balance root system - everything the same strength all the way around the tree. In then end the roots should be balanced - the same strength and root mass all the way around the tree.
4A407C44-4AB3-4ACD-B954-E9977B3BB8A7.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scott, did you cut any "windows" on the trunk where you want new roots?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Somebody tried to convince us that the small roots fuse - I'd say this is pretty good evidence that they don't really fuse.

Man, I bet you wish you would have started with an air layer. I'm sure this trouble wouldn't happen with an air layer.

Thanks Scott. This is an interesting thread.

I don't see any evidence of fusing on this tree - I think the main effect is that the spreading roots cause cell division at the base of the trunk. If the roots are radial and all the same strength the spreading is uniform.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, did you cut any "windows" on the trunk where you want new roots?

I did not, but I may try that next time. I can't say that I've observed that to be more effective that not cutting windows. Generally I just grafted roots onto bald spots on the nebari where I need them.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I put a drainage layer into the bottom of the pot and attach the board with wires I pass through holes drilled through the corner of the board.
839F7D05-B6F2-4EA1-869C-A7A2954E7CA2.JPG

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Scott,
Many thanks for sharing your experience.
I have to say, however, that to me that root growth looks a little anemic. The roots also look fairly wet. I wonder if your soil mix is holding too much moisture or perhaps having the roots on top of a rotting piece of pine may not be as good of an idea as we think. I bought a maple from Telperion that has a nice nebari that came on top of a thin fabric disc that the roots can't penetrate. It seems to work well and I used it again with repotting.
It may just be the Photos but it really looks like you may have a bit too much continuous moisture around those roots. Do you mind if I ask what you're using as a substrate?
Ian

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott,
Many thanks for sharing your experience.
I have to say, however, that to me that root growth looks a little anemic. The roots also look fairly wet. I wonder if your soil mix is holding too much moisture or perhaps having the roots on top of a rotting piece of pine may not be as good of an idea as we think. I bought a maple from Telperion that has a nice nebari that came on top of a thin fabric disc that the roots can't penetrate. It seems to work well and I used it again with repotting.
It may just be the Photos but it really looks like you may have a bit too much continuous moisture around those roots. Do you mind if I ask what you're using as a substrate?
Ian

I agree and think it was too wet as well. I used APL (akadama, lava, pumice) as a mix, but previously used 1/8" to 1/4" mix which is pretty fine grained. When I repotted I used a 1/4"-3/8" mix with a bit more pumice to make a drier mix.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't see any evidence of fusing on this tree - I think the main effect is that the spreading roots cause cell division at the base of the trunk. If the roots are radial and all the same strength the spreading is uniform.
I see it as analogous to having threaded a seedling through a tile or applied a tourniquet: auxin and photosynthate pile up at the restriction and cause 'swelling' at the tile surface. First order, uniformity would depend upon the auxin and phloem sap flow arriving at the base of the tree, which depends upon what is above, not below. After roots have popped, the new phloem tubes (made by cell division in the cambium) will be patterned to direct sap flow to those roots, where ever they are around the circumference.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I worked my way all around the tree
View attachment 129115

Cut the stronger roots back to a branch, but leave the weaker ones long. We're looking for a balance root system - everything the same strength all the way around the tree. In then end the roots should be balanced - the same strength and root mass all the way around the tree.
View attachment 129116
I'm exploring....can you tell me the trunk diameter above the soil line?....maybe about an inch or so above?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did not, but I may try that next time. I can't say that I've observed that to be more effective that not cutting windows. Generally I just grafted roots onto bald spots on the nebari where I need them.

Same here. I have had no significant results by cutting windows into the base at least not yet. I almost always resort to grafting. However, I always encourage trying it as it is quite easy to do, not much effort required and you just may get lucky!

EDIT: Very nice and detailed work Scott!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Same here. I have had no significant results by cutting windows into the base at least not yet. I almost always resort to grafting. However, I always encourage trying it as it is quite easy to do, not much effort required and you just may get lucky!

EDIT: Very nice and detailed work Scott!

Thanks Sergio - that means a lot coming from you.

Scott

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sergio - that means a lot coming from you.

Scott

I've tried it 4 or 5 times myself. Cut window, pack with sphagnum, bury well. Disappointed with results every time and stopped trying. This was Amur Maples. Could well be operator error of some kind, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had good results.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I may be wrong, but I think that roots fuse better when they are above soil level... (?)
No. Just the opposite. Being buried keeps them moist. They don't "bark up". The bark that protects them from the sun, and drying up, slows the fusing.

See the one I posted on the Facebook link. Once the roots get really well established, the fusing starts.

Top Bottom