Encouraging Adventitious Budding

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen and been told to encourage budding where there aren't any, most likely along the trunk, to take a pair of your pruning shears and just stab the crap out of the trunk. Is this a valid technique? Logically, if this does work, it'd make sense that after 60 stab wounds on the trunk, 1 or 2 has to take! right?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or it dies....Norman Bates!

Seriously.....I've heard that about some species.....

But letting it grow works too!

Wiring to open it up...

I'm convinced a light on the spot you want growth would work too.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen and been told to encourage budding where there aren't any, most likely along the trunk, to take a pair of your pruning shears and just stab the crap out of the trunk. Is this a valid technique? Logically, if this does work, it'd make sense that after 60 stab wounds on the trunk, 1 or 2 has to take! right?
Noooo!
There techniques one uses to encourage back budding,depending on the type of tree.
Stabbing isn't one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stabbing isn't one

Lessin you find a loved one of someone who's good at grafting....
Turn it into a hostage situation....
And they don't get to grafting that branch on your tree....

But hell, it's Probly more lawful to take a stab at cooking for someone who can graft them on!
Or make them some of those little pretty desserts!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

If you or someone else reads it on the internet it must be true :p Serious though getting plants to bud on old wood varies by plant and the season it is pruned as well as how it is done. There is no simple one way approach that works 100 percent unless your grafting skills are perfect and even that is known not to work on all plants. There are also some species that I have been told will never but did for me like Japanese Larch. The upside was three need branches two of which I kept. The downside is I had to waste an entire two seasons for it to happen...

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope doesn't do much except put pock marks in your tree. Back budding on most species, maple, hornbeam (most any hardwood deciduous) is produced by pruning back a trunk or limb to old wood. Trunks and limbs concentrate the pathways for hormones and nutrients. Pruning into older wood stops the transfer of those and stimulate resting buds. While you may get a lucky stab that stops enough of those, that technique isn't disruptive enough for the most part.

This can vary from species to species, but for most deciduous trees, it's the way. You can also graft on new limbs where you need them, thread or approach graft using separate seedlings or new flexible shoots on the tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard Bill V. suggest washing/scrubbing trunks with a superthrive solution to stimulate bud development. Have never tried it.

Have heard/read suggestions to make small horizontal cuts in the trunk, supposedly nutrient flow from the roots is blocked by the cut and this stimulates bud development (just below the cut). Have tried this a couple of times on a jaboticaba and it didn't work.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you or someone else reads it on the internet it must be true :p Serious though getting plants to bud on old wood varies by plant and the season it is pruned as well as how it is done. There is no simple one way approach that works 100 percent unless your grafting skills are perfect and even that is known not to work on all plants. There are also some species that I have been told will never but did for me like Japanese Larch. The upside was three need branches two of which I kept. The downside is I had to waste an entire two seasons for it to happen...

Grimmy
Larch backbudded?

What did you do?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
hey now @GrimLore share the wealth! :D

I have found that Japanese, Korean, European, and our Tamarack will back bud on old wood but it takes two seasons. It is not a refined process but it works in our climate every time. The downside is it takes one or two years... As an avid hobbyist and grower with time I do not feel it is a lot.
What I have done on many is this and it is totally against what I have been told. What I can tell you is my Wife can and will verify it - I have never been a lot for pictures - not my concern really...
What I do is let the new growth go a few weeks into growing season when the new growth extends near full length - here that is 4 -6 inches. I then cut that new growth back to one half the length. By Season end there is at least new stubs and obvious branch(s) on the old wood. The following season I knock back the new growth and they send the energy to those new precious growth which we cannot control but hey if I get 3-4 branches and even one is good I am grinning;)
I must add the amount of new growth on old wood varies and I have never seen more then three or four pop on any species. It is more common to have one or two. I also never noticed any difference between cultivars. It is hit and miss but I see it happen when I do that unorthodox pruning.

Grimmy

Top Bottom