ERCLover’s Acorn to Oak thread

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I’ve got 40 Willow Oak seeds started. 30 sown outside for the winter and 10 in the fridge trying cold stratification indoors.

Also have a couple random Overcup Oaks and Southern Live Oaks that I am going to try to germinate which could wind up being entries. We’ll see in 5 years!

Attachments

• IMG_7347.jpeg
    IMG_7347.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7363.jpeg
    IMG_7363.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7303.jpeg
    IMG_7303.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7320.jpeg
    IMG_7320.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 10
Are you putting them in the fridge as a backup in case the others don't germinate or just an experiment?

Are you putting them in the fridge as a backup in case the others don't germinate or just an experiment?

Sort of both I guess you could say. I have never done this before so part of me is worried one method alone could fail entirely so I am trying to mitigate that risk by using a couple different methods. Hopefully between the two I will get some viable seedlings!

Sort of both I guess you could say. I have never done this before so part of me is worried one method alone could fail entirely so I am trying to mitigate that risk by using a couple different methods. Hopefully between the two I will get some viable seedlings!
I was personally pleasantly surprised when I dug mine up yesterday. Didn't expect such a germination rate. And personally moved away from fridge stratification, always ended up with mold.

I’ve since also added a number of southern live oak acorns that I threw in the fridge. Took all
My seed experiments out yesterday to check on and we have liftoff:

IMG_8018.jpeg

Had a number of other things going, some common pear seeds all of which sprouted, a few extra willow oak which did not produce a root yet, some overcups which hadn’t either, and several mystery nuts from a huge tree my app said was bitternut hickory but they don’t match up with what the nuts appear as online. Dug up a couple sown willow oak that have been out over the winter and no root coming out of at least that sample yet either. Good to have some movement though!

My furthest along Willow Oak, one I started inside. Several other sprouts shooting up from the outdoor crew. Got a lot of taproots from the Virginianas but so far no upward shoots yet. Had a few that did really well hydroponically to start but when I put in soil seem to have stalled. Hoping all of them just need a little more consistent heat to get really going. Should at least have some Willows though.

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom