Evergrn Gardenwrks... thoughts?

humanafterall

Sapling
Reaction score
Received some material today,"Sazanami" JPM.

It's off to an interesting start and my imagination isn't there for this one just yet.

What would you do? Should I also chop the konbs on the trunk?

Photos in order1000001341.jpg: front, front zoomed and back, back zoom

Attachments

• 20240424_180826.jpg
    20240424_180826.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20240424_180844.jpg
    20240424_180844.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240424_180908.jpg
    20240424_180908.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 79

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I understand that those knobs are unsightly.
I think I would get the tree growing strongly then air layer above the knobs if that cultivar is amenable to it.

humanafterall

Sapling
Reaction score
Just seems odd to have knobs and I've heard good things about them as good material for starting off right. seems backwards now

humanafterall

Sapling
Reaction score
Have you contacted Brent @evergreen gardenworks and asked about the knobs?
I haven't, thought maybe I was being dramatic. Then again it was a replacement sent to me due to the first shipment getting stuck in transit and ultimately dying on me in a week.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree needs to be grown on for at least five years before you do anything to it. Pot it up as needed and let it go.
The knobs are the remainder of the root stock and will eventually be absorbed by the trunk. Maybe add some interest.
This is a slow growing variety and in general those are harder to propagate so you'll need some skills to do cuttings or airlayers.

humanafterall

Sapling
Reaction score
This tree needs to be grown on for at least five years before you do anything to it. Pot it up as needed and let it go.
The knobs are the remainder of the root stock and will eventually be absorbed by the trunk. Maybe add some interest.
This is a slow growing variety and in general those are harder to propagate so you'll need some skills to do cuttings or airlayers.
Thanks. Long and slow it is. I was going for a Mame size in the end

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The knobs are definitely odd and I would inquire as to what they could be. It shouldn’t be anything related to a graft as these are advertised as cutting grown.

I agree with the suggestion to grow out for a long while.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Regretfully would never be a good mame. The issues with Dissectums are Imho:

First they love to toss off multiple shoots in one spot. Witnesses the knobs. Likely branches were pruned later the optimal.

Also to get a Mame it’s better to get the tree when it’s just past the first winter and start working on it then. This tree looks like it’s past its second winter. Not saying one can’t do a cut down, but then one has to deal with taper issues. Might contract Brent about a couple first winter trees.

For a first shot at a Mame one might select a small leafed cultivar, but not a miniature like koto hime. Perhaps Deshojo.

One might consider putting the tree in the next size container at a good angle to grown. Then prune off the thickest or worst placed of the three branches on top… leaving an inch or so to die back.

If those knobs have died back cut them off with a knob cutter, going into the trunk just a bit so the cambium can roll over the space and leave a smooth surface. Good outcome is highly probable if done correctly..

Good luck!

Cheers
DSD sends

Jrmcmich

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have gotten several trees from Brent this year and have been satisfied but mine all need to be grown as well. That variety does say cuttings grown so shouldn’t be a graft. Seems like others mentioned growing for awhile before making a decision which seems like a good plan and assume you could always remove those once growing is established. Maybe Brent would have good advice on when you could remove those.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Acer Sazanami are not a dissected variety. However @Deep Sea Diver is correct thus won't make a great mame the first internode is too long and straight. It might be ok for a shohin.

I have one of these from Brent in 2021 in 4 inch pot. I have been growing it out since. I might try a few air layers this summer.

20240424_215137.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Received some material today,"Sazanami" JPM.

It's off to an interesting start and my imagination isn't there for this one just yet.

What would you do? Should I also chop the konbs on the trunk?

Photos in orderView attachment 542171: front, front zoomed and back, back zoom
Nice young starter plant to grow out for a medium size bonsai. I would not concern myself with the knobs at this point at all. just grow out. I would remove the larger trunk shoot at this time leaving a 1 inch stub to die back. I would want the lower portion of the trunk to be approximately 1 1/2 inches before considering another reduction. Brent indicates it is a fairly strong grower so I would plan on repot and root improvement each year switching to wider and not so deep pots as they increase in size. Should be considerable progress even if container grown over the next five years.

humanafterall

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice young starter plant to grow out for a medium size bonsai. I would not concern myself with the knobs at this point at all. just grow out. I would remove the larger trunk shoot at this time leaving a 1 inch stub to die back. I would want the lower portion of the trunk to be approximately 1 1/2 inches before considering another reduction. Brent indicates it is a fairly strong grower so I would plan on repot and root improvement each year switching to wider and not so deep pots as they increase in size. Should be considerable progress even if container grown over the next five years.
Thanks for the guidance!

humanafterall

Sapling
Reaction score
Acer Sazanami are not a dissected variety. However @Deep Sea Diver is correct thus won't make a great mame the first internode is too long and straight. It might be ok for a shohin.

I have one of these from Brent in 2021 in 4 inch pot. I have been growing it out since. I might try a few air layers this summer.

View attachment 542204
Beautiful trunk coming along nicely! I was worried about the length in my internodes... so shohin it is.

At the very least that middle branch is going to be chopped for now

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This cultivar is from the matsumurae group of Acer palmatum. These are larger leaf, and deeply divided. Long stemmed and long intermodal spacing. Generally speaking,
Not insurmountable odds, but definitely a larger frame would be needed to accommodate the characteristics of this tree. Opinion of an untrained layman, for what it's worth.
I have a few Kiyohime and Katagama cuttings coming awake that would do you much better for small size bonsai projects.

Top Bottom