Ficus Retusa progression

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanted to share my Ficus. This was my first tree that I bought last June. After a bit of research and youtube videos I finally shaped and wired the guy. Comments are welcome!

June 2013
photo copy 2.jpg

photo(1) copy.jpg
Now
photo.jpg

Nice wiring job on the branches. It has a more natural look!

Looks like you had to get rid of some foliage. Did you save any cuttings to root? :) It's a nice tree.

Typically you don't want to leave foliage only on the ends of the branching. It gives the tree a topiary kind of pom pom look. Healthy ficus can be cut back and back bud very well if it doesn't fill back out on its own. Looks like you've been keeping it healthy so don't worry about it. That lowest branch should help the base grow a bit, so I don't think I would mess with it. :D

Nice wiring job on the branches. It has a more natural look!

Looks like you had to get rid of some foliage. Did you save any cuttings to root? :) It's a nice tree.

thank you! no i did not keep the rootings....i might next time tho!

Typically you don't want to leave foliage only on the ends of the branching. It gives the tree a topiary kind of pom pom look. Healthy ficus can be cut back and back bud very well if it doesn't fill back out on its own. Looks like you've been keeping it healthy so don't worry about it. That lowest branch should help the base grow a bit, so I don't think I would mess with it. :D

thank you for your advice. yeah i was just hoping for some back budding on the branches but didnt want to remove all the foliage. i've only seen budding on the top where i didnt leave any foliage. i was planning on using the bottom branch as a sacrifice branch but im starting to like it. we'll see!

Back
Top Bottom