Firefly Petunia

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Illegal??
Gene edited plants without the right paperwork or government clearance are illegal to own.
Now if I would accidentally drop some DNA into a bacterial culture, shocked it with electrodes and infected a plant with it, then cured the plant from the bacterial infection with some antibiotics and grew out the plant that now contains foreign DNA.. Some would call it an accident. The government would call it jail time.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Glow in the dark is always better.
I fondly remember all the glow in the dark toys and attire from my childhood. It was everywhere in the 80’s

I feel like I kind of have to get one. Thanks a lot. 😡🤣

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glow in the dark is always better.
I fondly remember all the glow in the dark toys and attire from my childhood. It was everywhere in the 80’s

I feel like I kind of have to get one. Thanks a lot. 😡🤣

Some of the really old glow in the dark stuff is actually radioactive so I hope you didn’t love that kind too much.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
As an annual guess you'll have to keep buying once it croaks. Thier FAQ says..

Our Firefly Petunias are protected under patent, and as such, propagation and breeding are not permitted.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As an annual guess you'll have to keep buying once it croaks. Thier FAQ says..

Our Firefly Petunias are protected under patent, and as such, propagation and breeding are not permitted.

I understand why they do that and that it makes the research and development possible, but it still seems strange. To have a plant that if you take cuttings or plant seed you are committing a crime or at least you could be sued for it is very weird.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand why they do that and that it makes the research and development possible, but it still seems strange. To have a plant that if you take cuttings or plant seed you are committing a crime or at least you could be sued for it is very weird.
I think this is part of why so many nations have outlawed it, referring back to what @Wires_Guy_wires said. I think it's as much ethical as technological and ecological concerns.
It's a living organism, that would reproduce itself if given a chance, so how is it even possible to enforce a patent like that? In many ways anyone selling something like this is doing so with the full knowledge that it could cause their customers to violate the patent inadvertently. It's practically entrapment. I know it's not the exact right word, but I can't think of a better one right now.

BTW, a coworker of mine is giving similarly marketed tomatoes a try this year.

Top Bottom