First Bonsai--- Please help identify and give care info

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Greetings!

I received my first Bonsai for Christmas. Unfortunately, there was no info or care tag. I have absolutely no idea whether it should be kept outdoors or inside. On top of this, the person that gave me the gift kept in in a closet for a week. It does have some leaves and healthy growth, but there are also some missing. The only info I was given is that the dealer said to add 4 oz of water every other day and that it flowers.

I am attaching two pics. Hopefully, someone can help me identify the variety and provide care instructions. At the moment, I am taking it out during the day for some dappled sun and bringing it inside at night. Please help! LOLbonsaileaves.jpgbonsai.jpg

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I should add that I have tried to match the leaves by doing a google search. The very closest that I have found is that it is some type of Serissa, but someone on another forum said it was not. I thought perhaps it was Fukien, but supposedly, there is a notch at the end of the leaves that is missing. Finally, I thought it was a Yaupon Holly but it doesn't quite match.....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Better pix would help; plain background, effective flash, properly oriented. Shoot the whole tree, leaves, bark.

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thanks Brian. I will try to upload a pic of the whole tree. Unfortunately, it will still be from my phone but hopefully, you will be able to tell a bit more.

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Ok... here is a pic of the full tree. Any ideas? Care info?

TIA,
Tony

Attachments

• bonsai2.jpg
    bonsai2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 61

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pics are not that great. Tree is pretty bare. My first thought from the leaf pattern was some sort of buxus. Japanese Boxwood. compare with this pic.

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hi,
Yes, I know the pics aren't that great but unfortunately, it is the best I can do at the moment. I don't have access to a professional camera. I think Japanese boxwood looks similar, but does it flower?? My tree supposedly flowers.

It isn't as bare as what it appears in the pic. New leaves appear to be coming out from nodes.

Can anyone tell me exactly what proves it isn't a Serissa?? Also, is there are relatively fool-proof way to care for this tree even without knowing exactly what it is?? For example, should it be protected from cold? Tropical? Is there a possibility that it NEEDS to be out in the cold in order to survive a season?

Tony

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tony
No a boxwood wouldn't be considered a flowering tree. It does flower but nothing to write home about. . Very well could be Serissa. Leaves are similar. Serissa are more ovaid than buxus. And your pictures to tend to look more oval than the boxwood leaf. There are many different cultivars of Serissa. So someone with a different cultivar may say this doesn't look like mine. Why do YOU think it is not Serissa? They are known for their flowers. I am unfortunately not that familiar with all the cultivars of this species.

So I say go with your instinct and treat as sub tropical. Unless someone else chimes in. Should be easy to google up some care info on Serissa. Good luck

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Actually, I DO think it is a Serissa. I am brand new to bonsai and have limited knowledge about different cultivars, etc. Someone on another forum said it was definitely NOT Serissa, but if I go with my instinct, I say it is.

As I said, I am brand new so I am trusting others with more knowledge. Okay, so I will treat as a sub-tropical for the time being and hope for the best.

Thanks for your advice. If anyone else has thoughts, please share!!

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Someone on another forum said it was definitely NOT Serissa,

Just curious --what reason did they give. Also check this link. They look very much like your tree.

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
They had no reason other than "you can't possibly be right". Thanks for being kind. Yes, I do think my tree does look very similar. I think I will treat it as a Serissa until someone else chimes in to give me a reason not to. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That photo isn't enough better for an ID, however from what I can see it could be a Serissa. Crush a small new shoot that is fuzzy and purple in color...does it smell horrible? If so, it could help positively ID it as Serissa.

Once an ID is made, your approximate location will help people give you care and siting guidance. Serissa are hardy to USDA zone 7; they're a temperate bush that can handle some freezes, but most treat as a short-lived indoor tree.

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It is definitely a serissa, flor plano ( I could have misspelled that). It makes double flowers. The leaves are more rounded on this particular species as opposed to others that tend to have longer, skinner leaves. They are sub-tropical and I leave mine out down to upper thirties, no harm. Here is a picture:

John

Attachments

• 424.jpg
    424.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 24

Tony

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Awesome! Thanks to all for your help!!

John,
How much sun should it receive. My house is heated and it is inside at night and I feel like the humidity may be too low.

Any additional info is greatly appreciated!

Tony

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Please update your profile so we all know what area in which you live. Serissa can stay outside into the upper thirties, I put mine in the garage when it gets colder, and put them back out when it warms up, but that is how our weather is down here on the AL coast, we rarely have more that three or four days of consecutive sub-freezing weather. I have never really brought them inside the house for more than a couple of hours so I don't know to tell you there. Bringing it in an out should be OK. Make sure that you aren't letting it get too dry (soil).

John

Top Bottom