For the advanced seasoned bonsaist...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A queddtion and an observation: Question first. How is the tree doing and have you potted it yet? Observation: Did you ever wonder why you don't run into references of Ms. Shaner all over the place like you do Ryan Neil, Bjorn Bjorholm, and a host of others? Her making references to the fact that these trees don't grow like this is totally ignorant, I'll say it up front. If you made as a parameter that every tree used in bonsai has to be true to species most of what we use and how we use them in bonsai today would be disallowed. Shimpaku, and Needle Juniper, don't grow in the way they are often styled. I would have asked her to explain how then should this tree be styled and let's take a look at the tree that did win.

I too would love to see an updated photo of your tree @sawgrass. Unless you posted it after this thread...then disregard. Off to see if you shared it...

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Someone in the audience in Sacramento owns Sawgrass's tree. Quite a few of the other contest entries were bought by their artist, but the out-of-state folks are always a bit less likely to let it go to auction, for good reason. I also would like to see it, especially if it was repotted.

Reaction score
Don't want to add to much Mumbo-Jumbo, but was looking for some photos for another tree tonight and came across these Pictures of the tree at the event, I had forgotten about them. Perhaps they might clarify for some folks the cascade? Who Knows? But, I do think they give a better sense of scale of the material especially when compared to the pics of me and my wife... and see the size of the 7 1/2 inch jin pliers, and scissors on the table beside the tree. I incorporated the second photo even though the quality is really crap, to demonstrate how much the lower left hand branch of the tree was actually manipulated. It became the cascading branch of the tree. Also, what is apparent in this photo is how really far away from the trunk all of the foliage was... Quite a chore to reign it back in to the tight compact image of the tree, I ended up with. With that said, the overall height was still about 2 feet.

What has not been discussed, and something I would love to point out... as I said, not sure what happened to the tree after the auction, or who won it, but, if you look at the angle I chose, and see that at the base of the composition, their is a piece of deadwood, protruding out below the soil line of the tree... which I really liked. Had I kept the tree, I probably would of over time lowered the soil line and brought the whole tree up out of the dirt to expose the trunk down below this feature... I think it would of made a very unique tree! Also, seeing that these had been growing in these containers I heard for years, I have a funny feeling one would have found some really nice features under all of that soil, which would have really added to the design.

Was glad to find these! And was glad my wife made it down from our room at the hotel, to join me at the end of the styling of the tree for the photo... And managed to smile for the picture. As I mentioned at the beginning, she was extremely sick from the journey there.

When I look at these pictures and think back over the discussion in this thread, I can't help but think of the line from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the one with Gene Wilder... when he says...
"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about.
*We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams."

Nothing could be further from the truth!

josh1.jpg

josh4.jpg

josh5.jpg

josh2.jpg

josh3.jpg

Last edited:

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what your question means, Al.

BTW, now seeing more of the after photos, the trunkline looks a lot more natural to me.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or lastly, does the confusion here at the Nut stem more from a wiliness to not actually like the work because I have done it? Sorry... have to ask.

So, here are some example I have pulled from the web, feel free to do a search for yourself... and let me know. Not saying this trying to insult, But honestly, I really don't get it, and would love to understand what it is that I am missing. Thanks

I would like to add my compliment;). If not finished effort is at least a pretty good beginning. In addition there are indeed trees that grow "that way" as well as most any imaginable way in nature as Yamadori even if being rare. That only makes them more unique and often very desirable, maybe even exceedingly valuable to those with vision and imagination and who do not insist on having all perfect cookie cutter by all the rules trees:rolleyes:.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
How long have you been doing bonsai...and what is the longest (years wise) bonsai tree you have in your posession? (Years under your tutelage)

Just curious...how long one may "go back" if you will with the same tree under their tutelage...and care.

About 25 years, oldest that I still have is a Vitex agnus-castus about 8 years with me. It was in a foster home for about 4 of those years when I lost custody of all my remaining trees. LOL, you know the story by now. It's back home that's what matters.

Last edited:

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Way to resurrect a post folks! Almost a decade ago this was started. Anyways I got a 30 year old ficus Benjamina 'too little' that I bought as a cutting.

Top Bottom