Got the bug

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello,

New to Bonsai just bought a Chinese Elm and a Hawaiian Umbrella. Trying not to buy any more. lol Been doing a lot of reading and watching videos on youtube. Went down to my local nursery to see what bonsai material is available, and found they have 3 gallon Japanese Black Pines for 24.99. Was looking into picking up a couple to see if can make it into a bonsai. I've attached a pic of one. Would this be a worth while buy? Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 110

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OL....

Ololololololololol!

Welcome to Crazy.

For $25....

Better to kill that than a more expensive one!

Sorce
Thanks. Might have to go out there tomorrow and pick up a couple pines.

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a good bargain, but choose one that doesn't have roots circling the pot...
Thanks. I'll look into that next time I'm out there. Hopefully this weekend. They had about 10 trees to choose from. :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Then, good luck with your find.

Someone here started a very interesting thread on JBPs, (Pinus thunbreghii). Won't find it again right now, but if you use the search button, I'm sure you'll find it.

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Then, good luck with your find.

Someone here started a very interesting thread on JBPs, (Pinus thunbreghii). Won't find it again right now, but if you use the search button, I'm sure you'll find it.
Thanks will put the search function to work tonight. :)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Good price for a young pine. Bonsai training of JBP is a "cult unto itself". Culture techniques for JBP are different than deciduous trees and most other pines. These are young enough you won't need to do a lot right away, so you have time to read up and learn. Plan on keeping it in a nursery pot or moving it to a 15 x 15 x 5 inch (approximately) grow tray or box, for the next couple years. One thing that confused me, many articles don't tell you what techniques are only for trees close to exhibit quality, and what techniques are for young trees. The link Osoyoung gave you is great, and is clear on what to do. Do not needle prune, or remove previous year's needles or do candle pruning on young trees. These techniques are for later stages of development.

Get at least 3 JBP, that way you can do different techniques, and see how they respond. You can aim for different sizes, and styles.

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good price for a young pine. Bonsai training of JBP is a "cult unto itself". Culture techniques for JBP are different than deciduous trees and most other pines. These are young enough you won't need to do a lot right away, so you have time to read up and learn. Plan on keeping it in a nursery pot or moving it to a 15 x 15 x 5 inch (approximately) grow tray or box, for the next couple years. One thing that confused me, many articles don't tell you what techniques are only for trees close to exhibit quality, and what techniques are for young trees. The link Osoyoung gave you is great, and is clear on what to do. Do not needle prune, or remove previous year's needles or do candle pruning on young trees. These techniques are for later stages of development.

Get at least 3 JBP, that way you can do different techniques, and see how they respond. You can aim for different sizes, and styles.
Thanks for the info Leo. Hopefully I pick up a couple this weekend. Would you work on the roots before putting in grow tray? Might be picking up some Japanese Maples this weekend as well. I found I guy somewhat near by that growing them in his back yard. Road trip

Attachments

• post_image1.jpeg
    post_image1.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
See how good that feels?
Feels great. lol Did I mention I have an Azalea bush in my front lawn that I'm planning making into a bonsai come spring. :) Oh and I just ordered tons of seeds to plant. Prepping for the future.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Every time I repot, I use it as an opportunity to work on the roots, most important while tree is young. Fixing bad arrangements of roots takes more time than fixing bad arrangements of branches, start while the tree is young.

I would repot to a grow box or tray, I use Anderson flats, without doing much up top. Let recover one year then start working branches and such. You need healthy, vigorous roots to get the growth you need to develop as bonsai.

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't repot too often. Every three years for young trees, every 5 to 10 years for older, well developed trees.

That is why you work roots every time you repot, you don't have many opportunities, compared to branches.
Thank you for the info.

Top Bottom