Grafting cork bark black pine onto Scots pine?

Sorry if the reply is late. I have had equal suscess grafting on PT and PS root stock. One year I grafted on P Nigra and failed. Grafting trees is an art and to master this requires practice. Don’t assume your grafts will take unless you have experience. I encourage everyone to graft often under different circumstances to master this very important skill. I have only been learning bonsai for four years but try to graft at least 30-100 grafts per year. Anytime I have access to a new variety or spices I graft a branch one one tree I use to store those genetics. That pine tree now has tons of named varieties and if I ever need a scion I have a lot to choose from. PS has a lot of advantages. In my area PT gets a lot of root aphids which PS seems to handle better. I have never had a graft union separate of fail once I have a confirmed “take”. For those who are concerned with visible swelling at graft junction I have a few techniques that seem worthy. For simple swelling and diameter issued wrap the junction in copper or aluminum write which will force the junction to a certain size until the trunk is even. The scar tissue from the wires also causes the two bark varieties to blend a bit. Another technique is to graft strip of bark at the cambial layer at or below the graft union. I usually do one strip at a time. You can cut bark using a grafting knife or potatoes peeler. The grafts are applied and harvested vertically or longitudinally from frunk or sacrifice branches. In the end practicing and mastering grafting is much more important than theoretical talk about comparability unless you know how to graft in the first place. Timing and after care are more important. You will not score goals if you don’t take any shots. I don’t believe in reinventing the wheel but lots of this stuff has yet to be set in stone so I suggest just do it and let us know what works. BTW I fail terribly at my attempts to graft Cedar trees. If any one has suggestions I’m all ears. I have a huge (3’) Cedrus Libiani ‘green knight’ and have only had two successful grafts onto C Deodora root stock. BTW I buy root stock from Western Evergreens at very good prices. Minimum is 36 plants for wholesale pricing. Shipping adds up but plants are only a couple of dollars.

Happy grafting.

I have had equal suscess grafting on PT and PS root stock.
OK, good to know. So cork bark japanese pine on sylvestris has been successfull. From what I understand the union is now max 4 years old, and still holding. Although no guarantee that with increased corking I wont have problems, it is at least a good start.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom