Hakuro dwarf cork bark black pine

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got this tree from Bill Valavanis and was wondering were to start any help would be greatly appreciated IMG_2469.jpegIMG_2468.jpegIMG_2462.jpegIMG_2461.jpegIMG_2460.jpeg

How big do you want the tree to be once it’s “done”? If you want it to be a Shohin or a large tree the advice would be different.

How big do you want the tree to be once it’s “done”? If you want it to be a Shohin or a large tree the advice would be different.
I would want the trunk to definitely be larger

Get the horticultiure down first with cork bark Japanese Black Pines as they quite a bit fussier and sensitive compared to regular Japanese Black Pines. You're in zone 5 like me so you're going to have to protect them from our winters. Keep them above 25 degrees fahrenheit, don't overwater, and give them lots of sun and heat in the summer. You don't even want to focus on styling right now, just learn how to make it as happy as can be.

Realize that these guys put most of their energy into their bark so root issues can creep up on you fairly quickly. They can be iffy to decandle unless growing very, very strongly and even then it varies from variety to variety.

Best of luck and ask questions.

The reason I asked how big you want it is because if you want small in it’s final size you need to focus on keeping buds close to the base.

Did @William N. Valavanis have any suggestions for you? He is a wealth of knowledge and experience and since he knows the tree he could have some more keen insights on it.

Reactions: Rod
Did @William N. Valavanis have any suggestions for you? He is a wealth of knowledge and experience and since he knows the tree he could have some more keen insights on it.
I’ve asked a few but didn’t want to bother him to much. He’s already said he’d help with my trident maple forest this spring. So I didn’t want to ware out my welcome. The two trunks kind of have me confused about design.

Back
Top Bottom