Help picking a tree

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello people, there are two trees available online, and I’m interested in picking one. The Chinese quince has been wired by Bill V. and the Chinese elm is very attractive. Both are affordably priced. I know Chinese elms are great for beginners, but more interested in which tree is considered more desirable, thought after. Do Chinese elms lose some value because they’re so common. Are quinces more desirable because they are maybe more rare, have more features/ flowers, beautiful bark. Thanks I’m advance for any feedback. IMG_7863.pngIMG_7862.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Remember that trees that are less common are less common for a reason. Often because they are less hardy and many die along the way.
Chinese quince are great trees for bonsai. The trunk colours as the old bark sheds in spring is magnificent. Flowers and fruit though the fruit of Chinese quince is quite large and not often allowed to stay on a bonsai. That said, I've found them temperamental and have stopped trying. Some lasted 15 years but all eventually died, usually in spring. Not sure if that's climate related, care regime or something else.
Chinese elm also produce magnificent bonsai but much more hardy.
I'd rather have a more common species that's alive than a dead rare type any day.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Chinese Quince forest planting from Bill V. It has great fall color. I have lost a couple before that did not winter well. One was from Bill V. last December. I have many Chinese Elm and generally don't have any issues with them unless I haven't done my part. Don't just get one of these because you can, and frankly, late winter or early spring when buds are swelling is a better time for a novice.
There are a lot more trees to choose from. The Korean and Japanese hornbeam simple can't be beat. Trident maples are darn tough. There are a lot of choices. The Quince you are looking at is probably at least $250, a likely more. I can't speak for the elm but I suspect it is about the same. As a bigger you might want to think about that money. You could buy several less developed plants for that kind of money. But maybe that is not an issue for you.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Between these two trees, then personally I would go with the elm because the trunk is much more developed. Looks like nice mature bark. The quince looks very young.

I don’t put any stock in “value” or what is “desirable” to others - it’s about what makes you happy and what you personally enjoy. I don’t really enjoy growing out trunks so the quince isn’t appealing to me personally, but others love the challenge of growing a tree from scratch.

Just my 2 cents…

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like both. The Chinese elm looks more fun to me though. It would need some expertise though to continue the form. Specially developing that apex that has just grown out. The quince is much less developed. It looks like a couple steps up from nursery material which is where a lot of bonsai start ( can tell it’s had years of training). I think the quince would be better to begin with. But I think knowing your level of skill and help you have local should be a factor of what determines the level of tree you should buy.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gentlemen, and maybe ladies, all of this feedback is well thought out, informative, and kind in nature. You guys were able to simplify the decision process and what to look for and what to think of. Since I’m not looking for future- nice looking tree, the Elm makes the most sense right now. I have to admit, I’ve always been attracted to the small leaves with little points. The Bark is definitely beautiful on the elm, and the tree is a lot more further along than the quince.

For me, this part of the hobby is also part of the joy. learning, getting feedback, & decision making.

Top Bottom