Help! Will My Baby Die?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wasnt
I don’t have to open the tent, I just have to open the window. Every time I walk by my tent, I get a feeling of satisfaction, knowing that it’s my garden.

And that’s fine. You don’t have to like the idea. I’m just pointing out that you don’t have to be snide about it either. It was uncalled for, and I think an apology is in order.
Nothing to apologize for.
Was not being snide.
Just stating an opinion.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasnt

Nothing to apologize for.
Was not being snide.
Just stating an opinion.
The definition of snide is being derogatory or mocking in an indirect way. The way you described my style of gardening was clearly derogatory and mocking. You seemed to imply that the hidden nature of my bonsai is inferior to your more open way of gardening. You certainly could have worded it much better. And at the very least, I am offended by your choice of words.

I think this is really a case of being overcome by your pride. Humility would be the virtue to exercise in this situation.

Just apologize.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The definition of snide is being derogatory or mocking in an indirect way. The way you described my style of gardening was clearly derogatory and mocking. You seemed to imply that the hidden nature of my bonsai is inferior to your more open way of gardening. You certainly could have worded it much better. And at the very least, I am offended by your choice of words.

I think this is really a case of being overcome by your pride. Humility would be the virtue to exercise in this situation.

Just apologize.

You are jumping to conclusions, making inferences and putting words in my mouth.

Not my fault that you are easily offended.

I don't like the idea of placing my trees in a tent that prevents me from seeing them from across the room. I will not apologize for that.

Feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are jumping to conclusions, making inferences and putting words in my mouth.

Not my fault that you are easily offended.

I don't like the idea of placing my trees in a tent that prevents me from seeing them from across the room. I will not apologize for that.

Feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.
I didn’t jump to any conclusions or put any words in your mouth at all. You’re simply trying to justify your snide remark to me earlier.

There’s no need to ignore you, I’m not a godless liberal, I can handle being offended. I don’t require a safe space at my local college. It’s not like it’s the end of the world, and I totally understand. Everyone is at a different spiritual level, and not everyone is capable of simple humility.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Just apologize.
dude, grow some thicker skin. demanding apologies on the internet? pfff

Reaction score
USDA Zone
dude, grow some thicker skin. demanding apologies on the internet? pfff
Not demanding, asking. And it’s not much to ask for, really. I’m new to bonsai, and it’s very discouraging to have my style of gardening disparaged. I felt belittled, my feelings were hurt. Oh. Oh. The agony. Why don’t you support me?

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not demanding, asking. And it’s not much to ask for, really. I’m new to bonsai, and it’s very discouraging to have my style of gardening disparaged. I felt belittled, my feelings were hurt. Oh. Oh. The agony. Why don’t you support me?

Hey brother - I’m right there with ya on the grow tent. I love the humidity on ficus and orchids. I hate looking at the bright lights and I love building a mini ecosystem.

Don’t sweat the other opinions on it - Paradox has awesome experience growing indoors without a tent. I didn’t ‘hear’ his comments as hostile, just friendly dialogue. Intent is hard to tell online.

Stick with what you find joy in! That’s the magic. Hit me up if you have specific tent questions. 👍

SmallTreeGuy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That tree looks like me in the dead of summer... my wife hates that i have the oscillating fan trained directly on me to sleep at any time the bedroom gets over 75 deg. Full blast. Sounds like a jet engine in our bedroom.
Sounds like me, except my optimum sleep temp is 70 max!

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not productive to the forum, you should keep these comments to yourself. Opinions were shared and it's hard to capture tone on the internet, but I think everyone involved is moving on and this doesn't help.

@Peter.Constantine325 I don't get the hate on the tent, you do you man. Your plants will objectively grow better inside the tent due to the increased light (just look at the marijuana world, they all use grow tents like this and are on the leading edge of indoor growing). Looking forward to seeing you get your tent filled with more trees.

Also, if no one else has mentioned it to you I'd look for a local bonsai club to see what's nearby. Bonsai people are (usually) pretty friendly and they'll be able to help you as you start doing more work on your trees.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don’t have any yard or good windows. So it’s going to be in the grow tent year round.
I think you will be ok if you buy a free-standing grow light and just provide extra light for your tree. Ficus are very strong trees. I have a large one and bring it inside for the winter, and so far it hasn't even dropped a leaf - even if it isn't in the brightest window. About once a month stick it in a shower for a few minutes to wash dust off the leaves, etc.

I got an inexpensive growlight for my daughter's apartment last Christmas because all her tropical houseplants were dying. I didn't know how well it would work because it seemed pretty basic. However it got good online reviews, and within a month my daughter's plants exploded with new growth, so I'm a believer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you will be ok if you buy a free-standing grow light and just provide extra light for your tree. Ficus are very strong trees. I have a large one and bring it inside for the winter, and so far it hasn't even dropped a leaf - even if it isn't in the brightest window. About once a month stick it in a shower for a few minutes to wash dust off the leaves, etc.

I got an inexpensive growlight for my daughter's apartment last Christmas because all her tropical houseplants were dying. I didn't know how well it would work because it seemed pretty basic. However it got good online reviews, and within a month my daughter's plants exploded with new growth, so I'm a believer.
I was going to mist them every once and awhile. Would that do the trick? It honestly just seems a little more tender in care? It feels more like a gardening skill than a shower. Haha. How often should it be done? I want to avoid stuff like mold.

And I like the grow tent because it reflects light, and I’m able to keep humidity in the tent and out of my room. It just feels good, almost innovative? To have this space in my apartment dedicated to gardening.

I have a somewhat cheaper grow light that sits on a stand that I was thinking about putting over my houseplant that’s on the windowsill. I’m not sure if it will work or not, I’d have to test the light spectrum. But it was the best of its kind on Amazon. Almost as much as this Vivosun grow light I got.

Top Bottom