High winter temps

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Heh heh, I should tell you that, early in my bonsai experience, I tried to overwinter some trees in a cold basement where the temps were above 40 F and the trees started to push leaves after 3-4 weeks, which was in early January. I would suggest that the chill requirements hadn't been completely met, but the extended warmth pushed the tree to start growing.
And what happened with those tree that year?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
And what happened with those tree that year?
Honestly, I don't remember...I know I don't have it any more so...:confused:. In all seriousness, I believe the tree was girdled by mice shortly after I discovered it was breaking dormancy. I lived in an antique colonial with a dry laid fieldstone foundation that was basically a condominium community for mice. Over a period of 3 days, they removed all of the bark from every A. palmatum down there- maybe 4-5- as well as the JBP rootstock of an imported JWP:(.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Honestly, I don't remember...I know I don't have it any more so...:confused:. In all seriousness, I believe the tree was girdled by mice shortly after I discovered it was breaking dormancy. I lived in an antique colonial with a dry laid fieldstone foundation that was basically a condominium community for mice. Over a period of 3 days, they removed all of the bark from every A. palmatum down there- maybe 4-5- as well as the JBP rootstock of an imported JWP:(.
Oh dear....:(indeed.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most temperate climate trees have these unusual years and have own way of surviving naturally. Several also depend partly on photo period to decide when to grow. Hard spring freezing when starting growth is worst problem of all;).

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I noticed the first buds breaking on one of my trees yesterday. We've had lots of sun and high temps lately and it looks like some trees are breaking dormancy. We are expecting the next few nights to get into the mid/ low 20s. What is the necessary care steps to protecting those new buds with below freezing temps?

The heater in my greenhouse can keep the temp about 10-12 degrees hotter than outside. So with temps nearing the low 20s, the best I can get in the greenhouse would be 30-32. Is it best to bring my trees that have buds breaking into my house or will they be ok?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Swelling buds are still frost resistant, but if you can see leaf edges , the tree has completely lost all of its cold hardiness and needs to be protected from the cold. I wouldn't let trees with leaves see freezing temperatures again this year. Trees with swelling buds can handle light frosts but don't let the root ball freeze again.

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you Dav4 that was exactly what I was wanting to know! That's what I'll do

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've probably figured this out but this has been an extremely odd winter. I've had trees moving in my yard already, fully a month early, and I've heard the same from others further south and along the gulf coast.

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I've noticed. Strange winter as my first full winter in bonsai. Lots of new scenarios to learn to navigate all in one go

Top Bottom