Houston Folks?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
If anyone is in the Houston area and would be so kind as to post a list of trees that do well there I would appreciate it. A friend asked so naturally, I thought I would check the nut house!

Thanks Y'all!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Japanese black pine, Trident maple and ficus are doing well for me. Ginkgo also doing OK. I am currently trying Japanese maple but in the past they only survive but not thrive.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi milehigh - there are lots of choices for trees in Houston. May I ask what kind of trees your friend is interested in? Tropicals, broadleaf evergreens, deciduous, or conifer? And may I ask what level of practitioner your friend is? Are they a beginner or have they some experience with this already?

Scott

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Japanese black pine, Trident maple and ficus are doing well for me. Ginkgo also doing OK. I am currently trying Japanese maple but in the past they only survive but not thrive.

I am expecting that most of what works here will work there but I don't want to give bad advice. I am thinking that boug
Hi milehigh - there are lots of choices for trees in Houston. May I ask what kind of trees your friend is interested in? Tropicals, broadleaf evergreens, deciduous, or conifer? And may I ask what level of practitioner your friend is? Are they a beginner or have they some experience with this already?

Scott

Definite beginner. I don't think they care too much they were wanting Japanese Maples and I did not think that would work for them.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am expecting that most of what works here will work there but I don't want to give bad advice. I am thinking that boug

Definite beginner. I don't think they care too much they were wanting Japanese Maples and I did not think that would work for them.

I grow Japanese maples in Houston. It can be done, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation for a beginner. And forget about nice fall colors.

If this person would consider a ficus, I think they would be very happy. Perhaps a Willow Leaf - they grow great here. So far this winter they've only needed about three or four days of protection from cold. They're inexpensive, there are lots to choose from, they develop quickly and are forgiving of mistakes.

Tell this person to come to the next HBS meeting. It's our annual auction - there will be many trees available to buy.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1183670585034557/

Scott

Top Bottom