How did you get started in bonsai?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Might be an interesting thread...

Here's my story:

I used to play tennis at the tennis courts at Piedmont Park in Atlanta when I was in high school. There arts festivals in the Park a couple times a year. One time, one of the vendors had some bonsai. I can't remember much else, but one little tree was a trident maple shohin (never heard the term "shohin" untildecades later!). It was maybe 5 inches high, with spreading nebari, extreme taper, and only had three or four tiny branches, and a half dozen leaves!

I was fascinated!

Didn't buy it, not even sure it was for sale.

Anyway, sometime later, went to the local garden center, and asked about bonsai. They didn't know anything, but they had the "Sunset" book. I bought it and devoured it! (unfortunately, it's probably the worst book on bonsai ever published!). The Garden Center did tell me about the Monastary in Conyers.

So at 16 or 17, I drove to a Monastary. Where the Btothets aren't allowed to talk. Except Father Paul could, because he had to deal with the public selling bonsai. I wasn't there for the bonsai, but for the information. Well, Father Paul was a man of few words. Oh, he was nice enough, once I bought a tree, a Japanese maple, he gave me a couple of switches of Zelkova from which to make cuttings, and I bought the Brooklyn Botanical Garden's little book on bonsai. It wasn't very big, but the information there was much more advanced than the Sunset book.

So, I messed with a couple junipers from the Garden Center, and my Japanese Maple. The Mapke was in absolutely the ugliest bonsai pot I've ever seen! Made by one of the other Monks. Out of concrete.

Well, the trees were literally taken by the wind when a tornado hit my parent's house in 1974.

In 1976, I was in Graduate School, and happened to pick up the paper and see that classes in bonsai were offered at a place in Atlanta, taught by David Cook. There was a beginner series: we worked a tree a night every two weeks. First class was formal upright, next was informal upright, then slant, then your choice of semi-cascade or full-cascade, then finally we made a forest. We used foemina juniper for the formal upright! For real! The others were Procumbens. The forest was little Japanese Maples seedlings. We all bought a starter set of Masakuni tools (that's all there was), and a set of copper wire. There was no aluminum in those days.

But, that's were I bought a copy of Yugi Yoshimura's "Miniature Trees and Landscapes". That book was my bible for many years!

I got involved with the Atlanta Bonsai Society, took many workshops with visiting artists over the years.

Some time I started messing with Japanese Black pines, and John Naka taught us about decandling. He had just learned about himself. The following year he told us about needle pulling, but, let me tell you, what he showed us to do is NOTHING like what we do now! Lol!!! I was so confused by needle pulling, I didn't do it!

It wasn't until my association with Boon that he was able to reach me the proper use of needle pulling!

Anyway, about 5 years ago I started studying with Boon, and he had to purge old bad habits and methods from me before I could really apply his methods. My bonsai have taken quantum leaps forward ever since.

Anyway, that's my story.

What's yours?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, one more thing:

When I first really hot started after my lessons withDavid Cook, I wanted one of ever kind of tree in every style!

What I found is I became overwhelmed with having to remember what to do with each species. And trees got neglected. A pity.

Now, I intentionally limit myself to a few species, and a limited number of trees. Not that I don't like other types, I just have limited capacity of attention. So, I focus on pines. In particular, Japanese Black.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've always found plants, and trees in particular, to be fascinating, and along with helping my dad in the veggie garden and exploring the woods behind my house, I was collecting cactuses and carnivorous plants when I was twelve. I decided to major in Botany in college and my exposure to all the native and ornamental woody plants out there blew me away. Anyway, fast forward a few years to my 3rd year of vet school. I'm Christmas shopping with my girlfriend at the time in a mall on the north shore of Boston and run into a kiosk operated by Bonsai West. My girlfriend saw my eyes glaze over as I studied the beautiful little trees set out on display and purchased a starter bonsai kit for me. It was like meth...I became an addict overnight.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Very interesting buddy

My obsession started 23 years ago
Mrs Chopsie told me I was going to be a Dad, I needed something that I could do rather then drinking beer in the pub
I ended up in a garden centre and came home with a Chinese elm ( I expect most do lol )

My want for learning and finding a decent nursery lead me to Herons Bonsai nursery Mr Peter Chans place in Surrey
This was amazing ( newb )
I bought a juniper which was semi Trained. This was taken on a days tuition with a UK bonsai Artist Colin Lewis.

I found myself back at Herons and this is where I met Lee Vorehevort.
I bought a lovely Hinoki and arranged some tuition with Lee.
Lee travelled to my house spent 8 hrs with me and my trees
This continued for the next 8 or 9 years four or five times a year

Until the dreaded morning I woke to find my first tree the juniper gone, 9-10 years work a nearly potted tokoname pot all gone :(

This killed my mojo, my collection was sold and I started keeping Marines and a salt water tank.
10-11 years passed and in that time I lost my father
I promised myself I would buy another tree in memory of my dad
Well here I am, and the love and passion are back

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My induction into bonsai story happened in 2000 when I was 14 and went to Disney World for an orchestra field trip as a freshmen in High School. FYI, every trip after that was shit. We were there for about 4 days and we more or less spent a day in each of the Kingdoms. If memory serves me right, it was the 3rd day and a bunch of us, the cello section, decided to go to EPCOT. I was terrified of roller coasters btw, it was in 2000 that I got over my fear of roller coasters. After a riding a few rides, specifically "Test Track" we walked around the world showcase area and was pretty excited to visit Japan because, you know, anime. Little did I know I found more than just that. When we got there I immediately taken a back where I saw these little trees on pedestals and I was completely blown away at how are these little trees like big trees?! It was mind blowing! I was so convinced these HAD to be fake. No way could these be real. I spent the next 3 hours, ditched my friends, walking around and staring at all the trees on display. The one that I remember was this very large tree that looked like it was hundreds of years old. There were so many people in the Japan area and I filtered everyone out, it was like I was sitting and watching for 3 hours and just couldn't understand how these trees worked, it was like discovering nirvana or whatever. I had to find out more but had absolutely no luck finding anyone who can go into detail. We had to leave before dusk and never got any closure. It wasn't until after coming back home, after a few weeks, did I started my research into the craft. I didn't get my first tree until 1 year after freshman year and it was a little sapling I dug out of the ground at a friends house. In fact, I still have that sapling 16 years later.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well let's seem em adair, the tree you've had the longest surely you aquired more after the tornado ? You said 40 years or something ?even an old picture would be cool

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After moving to Charlotte NC from Connecticut, I worked in a retail landscape Nursery. I was put in charge of the “Bargain House”, full of returned plants being nursed back to health, plants that got damaged, diseased, overgrown etc. I started noticing a couple of guys coming to the nursery every 2 weeks or so, who always went to the “Bargain House” looking for plants. The more they came back, the more we talked and got to know each other a little. James and Ray. Anyway, I finally asked them what in God’s name they were doing with all the “Bargain House” plants and didn’t they want some of the regular nursery stock. They were, of course, using the plants for bonsai and told me about a local nursery I could take classes at.

At the same time I was also taking Horticulture classes at the local Community College and was assigned a project to interview an actual horticultural business owner, so I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and go see James and Ray’s contact. The subsequent visit to Brawley’s Nursery and interview with Mike Brawley led to me taking his class, fighting with James and Ray for the best stuff out of the “Bargain House”, joining the Bonsai Society of the Carolinas, etc, etc, etc.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well let's seem em adair, the tree you've had the longest surely you aquired more after the tornado ? You said 40 years or something ?even an old picture would be cool

Alas, I didn't go into the gory details of what happened to the collection after the divorce. Let's just say I have a pretty good size pot collection. But back in those days, I wasn't into pots. I just had "production" pots.

After the divorce, I didn't do bonsai for several years. When I started back up again, that's when I decided to specialize or at least limit my collection.

I would have to see if I still have some shoeboxes of photos of the old bonsai. Probably not. The ex took most of that kind of stuff. I did find a couple of ribbons I won way back in the day!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Adair, heart worm tabs are gateway drugs..I've moved on to proheart injections
Just watch out for that ivermectin if you have Aussie in your genealogy.

I got into bonsai seriously when I ran out of room on my property to plant actual forest trees and orchards. I decided to take up trees in pots to fill the void of planting upwards of 50 or more trees every fall. I still like having some open glades, so had to stop before it was one big forest. It's been a really rewarding and fulfilling hobby for me. I have a big soft spot in my heart for nature and trees. I'm rarely inside unless I'm at work or it's storming!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
1972. I was a sophomore at UC Davis and rented a place where someone had left behind the little Brooklyn Botanical Garden Bonsai book. I read it cover to cover several times and tried and failed to make trees from seedlings I dug up and even bought one of those goofy bonsai kits at a garden center. After a few tries I got frustrated and forgot about it.
Until 1978 when I got married. The wedding was in Southern California and when I walked in to my father - in - law's backyard for the first time I was blown away by his extensive bonsai collection. He'd been doing bonsai for years and was a long time member of Descanso Bonsai club. He sent me home with a little Catlin Elm and advise to find and join a Bonsai Club.
At the time there were three main clubs in Sacramento. Two were mostly Japanese and spoke mostly Japanese at meetings at the Buddhist Church. The other, The American Bonsai Association of Sacramento, met at the Garden Center and spoke English. I joined in 1980 and life as I knew it was over. A few years later I was invited to join one of the Japanese clubs, The Sacramento Bonsai Club, which is the oldest bonsai club in the United States! I was one of only two Caucasian members and often had to have members interpret the Japanese for me. The main attraction to this club was that they had a full time Sensei, Mas Imazumi, who became my first real teacher.
Here I am with the Sacramento Bonsai Club in 1988. I'm in the back row in the red shirt.
SBC circa 1988.png

Over the years I have studied with Peter Adams, Ryan Neil, Bjorn Bjorholm, and now am in a regular study group with Peter Tea.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
Okay this may sound dumb. But......

My mom was an amazing artist. So I got my artistic ability from her.

My dad has an amazing green thumb.

I was watching karate kid and seen that scene and was like hmmm

Started researching bonsai.

Down the street from me (I was 16 and girls were way more important) there was a guy that did bonsai classes out his house and sold other things call black pine bonsai.

I bought a jwp from him. And bought a few other tree's from a store around the way.

I moved out my dad killed my tree. Now I'm 30. And have time to do what I started 14 years ago lol.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My mother bought this book in 1992 image.jpeg and at 14 it was the only book I ever enjoyed reading. I EMMIDIATLLY started killing trees over and over. After leaning how to winter and collect properly from Peter Chan I was on a mission to dig up and pot everything I saw potential in.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My mother bought this book in 1992 View attachment 114999 and at 14 it was the only book I ever enjoyed reading. I EMMIDIATLLY started killing trees over and over. After leaning how to winter and collect properly from Peter Chan I was on a mission to dig up and pot everything I saw potential in.
My first bonsai book...still have it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh, one more thing:

When I first really hot started after my lessons withDavid Cook, I wanted one of ever kind of tree in every style!

What I found is I became overwhelmed with having to remember what to do with each species. And trees got neglected. A pity.

Now, I intentionally limit myself to a few species, and a limited number of trees. Not that I don't like other types, I just have limited capacity of attention. So, I focus on pines. In particular, Japanese Black.

Very interesting...and makes sense...how many trees do you have if you don't mind my asking?

Top Bottom