Itoigawa Juniper Styling

WaranG88

Seed
Reaction score
Hey All,

Need some help styling my juniper Bonsai. I’ve had it for a couple of years now but have no clue where to even begin in terms of styling. Any suggestions and tips would be great.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2135.jpeg
    IMG_2135.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 62
I would suggest finding examples of nicely styled trees of the same species that you find appealing, and use that as inspiration. I found this example online in about 4.1 seconds. Enjoy 👍

Attachments

• IMG_6942__51626.jpg
    IMG_6942__51626.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 40
I'm sure you don't realize how difficult it is to give meaningful advice on styling trees from just a single 2D photo.
For instance I can't work out where each of the branches in the circled area start.
juniper 6.png
which means it is very hard to recommend which to keep and which to cut or bend.

There may also very well be a much better viewing point for this tree. You've only given 1 option so I guess you've decided that's the best front?
Given the limited info from just 1 view of the tree I would not rely on this advice as the 'best' option but for what its worth here are some initial ideas and options.
juniper 7.png
From the angle given the lower branch is good though way too long. Needs to be cut right back to somewhere around the green circle IMHO. The 3rd part of that lower branch may be useful if pruned and wired to match the rest.
Right opposite that good lower branch is another, marked red. Being opposite distract the viewer and will eventually cause the trunk to thicken there = inverse taper. Remove that branch completely.
Branch above, marked yellow arrow is in an ideal position to lower into the space now occupied by the red branch.

It appears this tree has been over enthusiastically 'cleaned out' which means lots of long, bare branches with fewer options to cut back to on both branches and in the upper parts of the tree. A few years and some judicious pruning should rectify those problems though.

There appears to be around 5 branches coming from that upper junction. 1 will be a branch, another will be the new apex but without really knowing where all those upper branches come from it is hard to pick the most likely to become the apex. I suspect one of the smaller ones will be a branch but not sure which to recommend given the limited info.

Your tree has some great character in the trunk and the lower branch looks great. Now it is just a case of matching the remaining branches and getting it all more compact.
Remember to always check any online styling advice to make sure it actually works with the tree you have.

A local bonsai club is a good place to get advice on styling. Not sure if this is close for you

Hey All,

Need some help styling my juniper Bonsai. I’ve had it for a couple of years now but have no clue where to even begin in terms of styling. Any suggestions and tips would be great.

thanks in advance
As a broad guideline, conifer branches (especially junipers) are commonly angled downward/slanting/curvy. Find a way to style the lowest branch on your tree with interesting movement, and then have every other keeper branch mimic that movement (or similar).

Also keep in mind, the crown of the apex can be used by foliage near the middle of a higher branch bent over and angled like half an oval:

IMG_5598.jpeg

One of many options to create an apex crown of foliage for the overall triangle shape / dome. Remember to have branching and foliage at:

Front
Back
Side
Side

For a full 3D effect to the tree (not flat 2D)

Back
Top Bottom