Japanese Maple (Max) Progression Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My kids name all my trees, which makes it easy to keep records of my trees. They aptly named this one Max, after their little cousin.

I bought this at a Bonsai show last year. It had already leafed out so I just slip potted it into a grow bag and planted it in my grow bed.

I'm really happy with the roots and I can tell that the roots have been looked after well, probably from seedling.

I wasn't thrilled with the amount of growth using the grow bag last year but must admit the root ramification appeared to be better than growing out of pond basket. However, I'm more concerned with thickening the trunk up at this point and will switch back to the bag after I've achieved my goals.

I'll give it a pruning later in the summer after it's showing signs of new growth.

He's just a stick in a pot but every tree started from a twig.

_DSF6816.JPG_DSF6817.JPG_DSF6818.JPG_DSF6836.JPG

Last edited:
Very decent roots!

Did you do any root sorting this replant round?

IF I am inspired I might do a lot of work. Normally a trim, fan out the roots, and plant the bunch. But.. with time and energy:

20210222-R14A5146-46.jpg

IF I am inspired I might do a lot of work. Normally a trim, fan out the roots, and plant the bunch. But.. with time and energy:

View attachment 481073
Mmmm sexy..! Nice work Jelly!šŸ˜

At what point in your development progression do you start to expose the Nebari? Do you start using the tile right away? And as a novice, I'd be so scared of having so little feeder roots, but that confidence, obviously comes with experience.

Mmmm sexy..! Nice work Jelly! At what point in your development progression do you start to expose the Nebari?
I am a late bloomer when it comes to Nebari. As long as the canopy is not close to good, no roots are above the ground for me. I like the little backbudding you get with a heavy rootprune, and feel that working with the roots covered helps in getting the best rootspread.

Back
Top Bottom