My First Fukien Tree...Hitting the Styling Wall

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had this tree almost a year now. Its been pretty healthy, but it had some styling issues Ive worked to try and overcome. I am starting to feel like by trying to fix the tree's problems, that I am styling myself right out of a tree.

I got the tree while i still had a lot of learning to do (and I do still) and sadly, my primary/lowest branch died.

The next lowest branch has this near right angle to it that crosses the trunk in most viewing angles...a general no-no as per bonsai rules...which are sometimes made to be broken??? This limb actually has the decent makings for a pad.

It had some bad reverse taper, so i took off a large branch up top and used some cut paste on it (the cut paste got dirt on it...long story...thats why its so dark, it practucally looks charred..but its fine).

Im considering lopping off another limb near the top...as per red line in the pic with a question mark. This limb is horizontal, poses some more reverse taper issues, and is directly above the one pad i have if i use the lowest branch...take the branch off?

For the most part I've been trying clip n grow method, mixed with a little wire where possible and recently tying a branch to bring it downwards.

Suggestions welcome and thanks as always,
Boise_Guy

Attachments

• 20160729_201055.jpg
    20160729_201055.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 64
  • 20160729_201134.jpg
    20160729_201134.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20160729_201117.jpg
    20160729_201117.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20160729_201310.jpg
    20160729_201310.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20160729_201756.jpg
    20160729_201756.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 61

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
How much do you like the serpentine style on this tree? Personally, I haven't really been a fan of them since they are pretty common like that and many of them look sloppy. In many ways, I feel the serpentine shape is what is holding the tree back.

I wouldn't cut your red line you have there since it's where the most exciting part of your current tree design is.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can a tree have such a big cut so late in the season?

If he's had it for over 2 weeks, I reckon he's good at keeping them alive! So maybe he can make it work!

I don't know....but it is going inside for winter.

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If he's had it for over 2 weeks, I reckon he's good at keeping them alive! So maybe he can make it work!
What is the most desirable latest deadline for a big chop? Before the summer? Or just in spring?

I would wait but then again I know crap about tropicals.
I think it's semi-tropical ;)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suggestion - ground grow and thicken the trunk.
Let the tree just grow, no cutting.
Get a trunk.

Good Day
Anthony

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thx for the replies all!

Im not singularly attached to the serpentine, but I also havent been in bonsai long enough to build up the deep seeded displeasure or dismissal of this style as so many of you have come to have...give me time though!

I defintely can't plant it in the ground in my climate as per one suggestion...but i could just overpot it and let it run wild with growth. Im also fine with making the hefty chop as per Sorce's suggested location. However, I also dont mind waiting for optimal time to do a big prune either.

Maybe i do both -- overpot in the fall after its been accustomed to the inside and then consider that hefty chop next spring...?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sadly,

Fukien tea, does not respond to trunk thickening in pots. However do you have family in say Miami ?
It is a zone 9 tree in China.

That serpentine is the first stage n Chinese growing fields and when thickened produces the proper stage for a Bonsai.
It is a culled / rejected shrub, and the Chinese are smart enough to export the rejects as ------ Indoor Bonsai.

You might find that either a tree/shrub from your area, or a better Fukien tea specimen, more sensible to spend so
much time on.a

One sees so many folk who got caught with this scam on both sides of the ocean.
Good Day
Anthony

*Growing all three types of Fukien tea since 1983. Tropics. Like the Sageretia t, it is a crossover shrub.
It can also [ indoors ] be a bug magnet.

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
@Anthony

You said that the serpentine is a first stage toward making a "fine" Fukien bonsai. Are these something that would be made from the serpentine as it develops?

3013430834_d88b04a829_z.jpg

images

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@GoldenEagle,

look at Sorce's Boise and imagine the shrub, thickening the inner sections of the lower trunk,
You would get a fatter base with more personality.
Then imagine a trunk chop and a restart.

If you take the time to Google Fukien Teas, you would get a pleasnt surprise of how far one can
push the shrub.
Here is an example.
It can go a bit more that what you are showing in your post.

It is a popular plant because of it's ability to become as dense as a Shimpaku.
Just don't do any white wood, though a stuck on whitened hardwood might work.
Good Day
Anthony

From Google -

fukien.jpg

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
@GoldenEagle,

look at Sorce's Boise and imagine the shrub, thickening the inner sections of the lower trunk,
You would get a fatter base with more personality.
Then imagine a trunk chop and a restart.

If you take the time to Google Fukien Teas, you would get a pleasnt surprise of how far one can
push the shrub.
Here is an example.
It can go a bit more that what you are showing in your post.

It is a popular plant because of it's ability to become as dense as a Shimpaku.
Just don't do any white wood, though a stuck on whitened hardwood might work.
Good Day
Anthony

From Google -

View attachment 112361

Oh, I have definitely seen the great photos of fukiens! The ones I've shown seem to be in development toward the photo you've shown, though they do seem to be of lower overall quality even at that stage.

I usually look at good "average person bonsai" for now since I'm about 1.5 months into my whole bonsai journey and still getting to the basics. I'd love to have the first tree, even with its terrible reverse taper in about 3 places along the main trunk.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Boise_Guy - When you can't see what to do with a tree, let it grow a while. You have only had this tree a year, and have already done enough to it. Let it grow, let new buds pop on the trunk. Let it get rangy, bushy, with long extensions of foliage. Give it a year or two "off". Then when you return to it, you will actually have branches to choose from.

The S curve is not a problem at all, as Anthony pointed out, when the trunk thickens, the "S" will visually disappear. Don't worry about it. Just let it grow a year, and then you will likely have obvious choices as what to do next.

Top Bottom