my Ume

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Nice! Is it ok to bare root an ume this week? I need to repot mine but I am not sure when is the best time.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I was going to call my nursery buddy to see when he's getting his bare root stone fruit trees in as that can be a good indicator. I was going to do that specifically for a peach but now that you mention it I have a few umes that could use repot. Is flowering of any indication of when to repot? If so when before, during or after?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with Ben right after flowering but before leafing out. Bare root stone fruits start coming in right after the 1st of the year.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I like to see your ume in flower Si.
Bonhe

Ok, I will take some pics of mine this year. I have just one ume left. I killed a really nice one years ago that got me really depressed. Mine is showing bud swelling already too!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I will take some pics of mine this year. I have just one ume left. I killed a really nice one years ago that got me really depressed. Mine is showing bud swelling already too!
What a pity! If I was you, I would really be depressed!
I'm waiting.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first flower will be on the board in a few days!
You can see the end of the branch was incompletely broken off! It attracts my eyes:)

Youth, freshness vs. Age, Dullness. Do you see the spider web? I love it!

Bonhe

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
I am literally now sold on ume, this is such a beautiful species, I have avoided it for a long time idky. I'm buying some this year, no doubt about it!!!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am literally now sold on ume, this is such a beautiful species, I have avoided it for a long time idky. I'm buying some this year, no doubt about it!!!
Yes, it is one of very beautiful species. I can sit there for hours, just for watching its flowers and branches! It makes my soul much more calm and warm! I'm encouraging whoever never tried this tree in the past, should give it a chance.
Bonhe

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well you certainly make a case for ume with your beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing them with us. Can't wait till they open!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well you certainly make a case for ume with your beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing them with us. Can't wait till they open!
Thank you JudyB. At this time, I am checking its status every day!
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday.

This morning.

and this late afternoon. I start smelling its fragrant! I expect the first flower is wide open tomorrow.:)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
so sweet, in the half open form. I've always been a sucker for blooms at just starting to open.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so sweet, in the half open form. I've always been a sucker for blooms at just starting to open.
I agree with you. For me, half open flower is always beautiful and charmful!
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This morning.

In the afternoon, the first flower is fully open!

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This morning, the tree has more flowers. Its fragrance is occupying one of the garden corners! So sweet! I wish I could share its fragrance with whoever doesn't have ume!

This year, it will have around 100 flowers!
Bonhe

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
1/2 my flower buds are swelling...... pisses me off because Winter is no where near over. Stupid alternating hot days here. ruining my show concept.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bonhe.

Those are really pretty. :)

I am not even sure my ume will survive so will have to keep dreaming for flowers...at the very least another year. :D

Top Bottom