National Arb show dates

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The National Bonsai Foundation sent out a reminder of two important upcoming events at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum at the National Arboretum in D.C. this year that I thought might be of wider interest.

May 13-15 is the Annual Bonsai Festival and World Bonsai Day--This was cancelled last year in favor of the learning symposium in Baltimore.

Oct. 15-16 is the dedication of the newly renovated Japanese Pavilion at the museum.--I've been looking forward to that reopening for some time. It looks like it will be spectacular.

https://www.bonsai-nbf.org/current-projects/
http://1003gardens.blogspot.com/2015/06/very-impressive-rocks.html

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm I for one am very very glad they are holding this again. I simply was too poor to go to the symposium in Baltimore last year. Thanks for posting this, Rock. I'm also glad they are opening the Japanese Pavilion. Will the Koi fishes be back?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know about the koi. I think that is part of a separate renovation project on the main Arb. building.

I found that the show in Baltimore wasn't far off the expenses that the PBA show bring me. It all depends on self-restraint ;-). The Baltimore show cost $5 or so to get in, but the opportunities to sped thousands were more common. The PBA show also brought in more that "the usual suspects" that the Arb. show does (although the usual suspects there are still a pretty good crowd).

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm i had no idea it was $5 to get in. I remember having to have to register which I think was $300 but I may have confused that with price with joining PBA.

Also, seems like they do plan to have the koi up by then. It'd be a shame to have one without the other.
Note: The koi have been removed from the pool for a renovation project and the terrace is closed during the renovation. We hope to have this area re-opened in the spring of 2016.
- From the Site

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Baltimore show had a single person admission price that allowed access to the vendor hall and to the show hall. It wasn't publicized enough. That's the show organizer's fault.

Everyone assumed it cost $300 just to get in the door--which was the minimum if you wanted to participate in the overall program, which included a class or two, tours of the Arb and a dinner there. All that wasn't necessary if you just wanted to go buy stuff and see the show trees. (I even managed to eavesdrop on some of Ryan Neal and Guy Guidry's workshops for a few minutes--but didn't walk away with a tree like the participants did).

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm ugh...this makes me so mad. I really really wanted to go and would have made the trip with the fiancee and a few other friends who wanted to come with me. How was the vendor hall?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vendor hall was pretty good. Matt Ouwinga was there with a load of old Japanese antique pots, lots of tree vendors (including Andy Smith) that you don't usually see. Some west coast vendors too. Also vendors had some interesting bonsai soil and components. There was also a fair amount of crap too.

I have to edit myself. I think the fee was $10, not $5, my memory isn't what it used to be.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm Darn...well 5 extra dollars is no big deal. Will definitely make sure next time. Ryan Neil...::swoon:: am i right? haha.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, he was great, but I have heard stories of an EPIC rollicking informal Guy Guidry workshop that started at the bar...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've always wanted to check out the Aboretum, been driving past it for years. May sounds nice.
Thanks for sharing that info.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you live on the Eastern seaboard and do bonsai, a visit to the National Arboretum's Bonsai Collection is an absolute necessity. Missing it, if you live within a three hour drive, is pretty much sacrilege when it comes to bonsai. It contains most of the best bonsai in the U.S. It certainly has the most expansive collection in the country, from North American trees, world class Japanese trees, as well as one of the largest, finest collection of penjing outside of China.

Think I'm, exaggerating? go look...;-)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you live on the Eastern seaboard and do bonsai, a visit to the National Arboretum's Bonsai Collection is an absolute necessity. Missing it, if you live within a three hour drive, is pretty much sacrilege when it comes to bonsai. It contains most of the best bonsai in the U.S. It certainly has the most expansive collection in the country, from North American trees, world class Japanese trees, as well as one of the largest, finest collection of penjing outside of China.

Think I'm, exaggerating? go look...;-)
I will.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
If you drive into downtown DC via Rt # 50, you will pass the arboratum while on NY-Ave. Entrance is free. Visiting is a no-brainer.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you drive into downtown DC via Rt # 50, you will pass the arboratum while on NY-Ave. Entrance is free. Visiting is a no-brainer.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the area, been driving by it for years. Always wanted to scope it out, especially since my tax dollars fund it.
I didn't know until very recently though, that they have Bonsai. Now I really really wanna go!
I've seen, on line, that tree that survived the Hiroshima blast. Looks incredible.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update.

Apparently the dates for the PBA show and sale (May 12-15) and the ABS Learning Seminar in Michigan are on the same May 12-15 weekend.
http://www.potomacbonsai.com/
http://www.absbonsai.org/2016-abs-bonsai-in-the-garden-learning-seminars

From the draw at the last ABS symposium in Baltimore last spring, I hope at least SOME quality vendors show up for the PBA show...:-(

Also the Japanese Pavilion at the Arb is coming along. The dedication this fall should be kewl.

May

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update.

Apparently the dates for the PBA show and sale (May 12-15) and the ABS Learning Seminar in Michigan are on the same May 12-15 weekend.
http://www.potomacbonsai.com/
http://www.absbonsai.org/2016-abs-bonsai-in-the-garden-learning-seminars

From the draw at the last ABS symposium in Baltimore last spring, I hope at least SOME quality vendors show up for the PBA show...:-(

Also the Japanese Pavilion at the Arb is coming along. The dedication this fall should be kewl.

May
Julian Adams is going to be in Michigan, sadly for us here in the DMV. I always look forward to seeing what he brings every year. He's got some great things.

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
So, who's going?? Sorry, to the Nat. Arb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom