Need advices about Chinese Swamp Cypress (Glyptostrobus pensilis)

Reaction score
After noticing a tree with me small leaf I never seen before, I could not help wanting it. Went back my house browse thru the net, my first impression was Dawn Redwood however it turn out to be Chinese Swamp Cypress (Glyptostrobus pensilis) with alternate leaf (nursery from Malaysia import tree from China, Vietnam, Taiwan and Thailand). Despite the tree grow in colder climate compare to tropical Malaysia, I bought it anyway.
I hope someone who had growing experience with this tree or went to South China or Vietnam can advises me about the potting mix and if the pot this tree needs to be submerged partially in the water as it naturally condition is the swamp.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't say much in particular about this species, but it is related to Bald Cypress (taxodium distichum).

I grow my bald cypress in a water retaining soil, about 50 percent potting soil 40 percent bonsai soil and 10 percent sharp crushed quartz sand. It is a myth that Bald Cypress prefers to grow in submerged conditions. It requires drainage. It grows best, according to university research in seasonally flooded land that doesn't remain underwater.

Just because a species like water and can tolerate growing submerged, doesn't mean that such conditions are the best. Bald cypress, and I'd guess this species also, grows in standing water because it CAN, not because it really wants to. It is an evolutionary strategy that allows such species to take advantage of conditions that other plants can't.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can't say much in particular about this species, but it is related to Bald Cypress (taxodium distichum).
It grows best, according to university research in seasonally flooded land that doesn't remain underwater.

I recall reading university research, though I can't produce it now, that T. distichum grows fastest in drought conditions.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bwaynef, my T. distichum grows in much the same mix as rock described here.My mix is about 50 per cent of the original soil which was your basic nursery mix that I added 30 per cent fine pea gravel and 20 per cent crushed red lava rock. I decided that it would be best having a soil that retained a fair amount of water yet still drains well. It loves to be wet judging by how it grows, its almost as if you water it and can watch it grow. It usually stays wet as I water it every morning and every evening and the soil mix stays damp even in the 100 + degree heat we have been having.

ed

Reaction score
I have just tranfer the chinese swamp cypress from a 3 gallons pot to a rounnd 1foot diameter, 4 inch deep pot. Cut 2/3 of the root ball n 2/3 of the foliage. for the potting material, 80% its original soil 20% cruch black lava. I use back the original soil b coz the tree look very healthy in its original pot. After thranfering how ofthen i should water
I plan to style to a formal upright after the tree recover from the repot.
Chinese Swamp Cypress.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom