New additions to my collection

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think on mobile imgur is forcing an app install in order to view.

Cory Johnson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here, think I fixed my issue

Attachments

• 20161204_170140.jpg
    20161204_170140.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20161204_170306.jpg
    20161204_170306.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20161204_165941.jpg
    20161204_165941.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20161204_170025.jpg
    20161204_170025.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 22

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice trees that should grow well for you in Florida. The Serissa and the Juniper can be grown outdoors year round. The Fukien tea and the Ficus will have to be indoor plants during the coldest part of the year.

All are good species for someone new to the hobby. These are all commercially mass produced plants, and as young plants don't have a lot of character, but really your selections look nice, pleasant to have around. I would not do any pruning this winter. In spring-summer you can work on all of these. For the mean time, just keep them healthy, learning the when to water, fertilize and the routine of basic care is important before you dive into pruning, wiring and styling a tree.

Some will recommend moving these out of bonsai pots and into large containers for growing out to get more character, don't do this until the locally appropriate time for repotting (I'm in Illinois, and don't have a feel for Florida horticulture) What is good timing for me, may be bad for you as we live about 900 miles apart.

However, you may just keep them as they are for a year or two, to enjoy. Then as you learn more about the design aspects of the hobby, down the road you will see the changes you want to make. But don't do anything until spring. Just keep them watered and in the sun.

Both the Serissa and the Fukien Tea will flower, and flowers are a sign of good health. See if you can get them growing well enough to get flowers, that will be the sign you are doing a good job and have the horticulture mastered.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Fukien actually has a flower already

One Bastard flower does not a Master make!

Lol...just playin!

What Leo said.
Closest Leo gets to being wrong is....
Letting you know he knows little of a subject, then proceeds to give you more information than a scholar of said subject could.

You know why there are no Apprentices in Florida?

Florida will grow your trees itself.

I think your repotting season ended 2 minutes ago.

All you really need to be good at down there is sharpening blades.

Hey look at that!
Your repotting season started again!

I'd wish you good skill...

But you don't even need that in Florida.
Just keep them shears sharp, and your eye (in EVERY bonsai manner) sharper.

I never met a Cory I don't like.
The Catfish.
Corey.
Cory.
Or Quarry.

We don't pronouce the W sound.
And they got big fish.
No peacock bass but my buddy caught an Oscar once.

Rrrrrrandom!

Sorce

Top Bottom