New Shimpaku Juniper from Greenhouse, Where to Put It For Now?

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
So, yesterday I purchased an 8-10 year old Shimpaku Juniper from my local greenhouse.

My local climate is Calgary, Alberta, which if I am not mistaken is zone 4A?

My question is this: With it dropping to around -2 to -6 Celsius (~20 F) currently at night and reaching 10-18 Celsius (50-60 F) during the day, what would be my best approach in terms of location for this tree?

I (like a novice) left the tree outside last night and it dropped to around -3 C and the dirt seemed to almost freeze solid, but there was no frost on the tree or pot this morning. I brought it back inside to warm back up next to my Ficus near my south facing window. I hope I haven't killed the poor thing with than one night of minor cold shock because the greenhouse it was from is mildly heated to be plus year round (the tree must not be acclimated to the minor cold as a result).

What should I do? Outside (because Junipers MUST be outside) or leave it inside for a few weeks until it remains consistently above freezing outside?

This fall I will take the appropriate measures to winter the tree properly but this limbo period from buying it to safe temps outside is confusing me... Thanks for any help!

PS. If I did in fact kill the tree from that bout outside for a few hours (hopefully not!), how might I tell? I know Jnuipers take an extended period of time to show that they have died and look healthy for a while after...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It should be fine down to 20f; mine have been colder with no issues. If was in a greenhouse all winter, you'll want to protect it from freezes this spring. I'd just set it on the kitchen counter at night when it's forecast to be below freezing, and put it back outside in the AM.

Post photos if you want a diagnosis, and someone one can tell you if it looks damaged or not. Shimpakus will show freeze damage fairly quickly. Foliage goes dull, then pale, yellow, then brown.

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
It should be fine down to 20f; mine have been colder with no issues. If was in a greenhouse all winter, you'll want to protect it from freezes this spring. I'd just set it on the kitchen counter at night when it's forecast to be below freezing, and put it back outside in the AM.

Post photos if you want a diagnosis, and someone one can tell you if it looks damaged or not. Shimpakus will show freeze damage fairly quickly. Foliage goes dull, then pale, yellow, then brown.

Thank you for the reply! I'll try to do it that way until it's consistently above freezing in a few weeks... I'll post some pictures later today when I have a moment!

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A

I can't seem to get my pictures to show up here on the board but today the tree still looks as healthy as Monday when I picked it up from the greenhouse so I think all may be well.

As an afterthought I took some of my clippings from the tree that I did when I got it, and noticed that they are floppy and turning lighter green already, while the foliage still attached to the tree is fairly stiff and healthy looking in comparison. This leads me to believe the tree must still be alive and well because the foliage is still (to me at least) looking healthy as opposed to the pruned pieces.

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
Did you try dragging and dropping the from your desktop into the post?

Oh that worked thanks!

The first pic is from the greenhouse the day I picked it up and the other 3 are from a moment ago (sorry may phone camera isnt awesome). Also forgive me for the terrible styling that you see on the tree I am hoping to develop the foliage pads better over the years

Based on these pics would others agree the tree seems healthy? Its been almost 48 hours since it initially went outside and more than a day since I brought it back inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20150330_110557_nopm_.jpg
    IMG_20150330_110557_nopm_.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20150401_135555.jpg
    IMG_20150401_135555.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20150401_135544.jpg
    IMG_20150401_135544.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20150401_135606.jpg
    IMG_20150401_135606.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 63

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
These things are tough as nails. I keep my Shimpakus outdoors just under a bit of a wind break and we had -20 below zero F. this winter and last winter.

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
These things are tough as nails. I keep my Shimpakus outdoors just under a bit of a wind break and we had -20 below zero F. this winter and last winter.

No kidding! I had no idea they were that sturdy. Thats good to know because we get equally as cold here where I live.... I hope that the transitions inside and outside don't harm the tree either but I think over all that it ought to be fine. Ill keep an eye on the foliage for color changes and if it should start to turn and show distress, is there any advice you can offer should that happen?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine look to be fine and they saw minus 35 and more below this winter. They're still frozen sold as a rock but they"re fine.

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
Mine look to be fine and they saw minus 35 and more below this winter. They're still frozen sold as a rock but they"re fine.

That's crazy, I had no idea they could be that hardy... They ought to handle my crazy Canadian winters then too at that temp!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine sat on a bed of straw on the ground then covered to the first branch with straw. Then they got covered completely in snow. Those 2 things insulating my plants kept them cozy all winter.
One question for you. Do Alberta spruce grow wild there?

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
Mine sat on a bed of straw on the ground then covered to the first branch with straw. Then they got covered completely in snow. Those 2 things insulating my plants kept them cozy all winter.
One question for you. Do Alberta spruce grow wild there?

They do in fact grow wild here, why do you ask?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I would think they could make it through winters here but the kast 2 every one I see has been freezer burned.
And can you collect them from the wild as maybe yamadori?

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
Well I would think they could make it through winters here but the kast 2 every one I see has been freezer burned.
And can you collect them from the wild as maybe yamadori?

If I was so inclined there are ways I could grab some from the wild but I haven't thought about doing it... Im surprised they haven't held up for you...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's why you should/have to put them behind a wind brake of some sort. The best thing is to bury them in the snow if you get it. The last two winters have been bad around here and I have not had to do so much for the ten years prior. However prior to that I used to pile straw loosely on top of everything and use portions of the straw bales for wind breaks and quasi-shelters. It got so warm for a while that I no longer had to do that but I am now thinking things may have taken a turn the other way for a season or two or ten. One thing about Shimpakus: You can kill them with kindness.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If I was so inclined there are ways I could grab some from the wild but I haven't thought about doing it... Im surprised they haven't held up for you...
Forgive me for being thick; you mention that Shimpaku grow wild in your area? Or----are we talking about another species of Juniper because Shimpakus are native to Japan and no where else that I know of?

Top Bottom