New Shimpaku Styling Advice

CrisisM0de

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello!

Got these junipers recently, I want to do some light wiring on this first one. I think I have the idea down as far as making pads…

I was hoping to get some ideas on these planting angles, possible fronts. Any other styling advice would be nice too.

C278C50D-C518-4F1F-A8A5-0C55C15E8794.jpeg0CABCFA9-196B-4C04-8F6A-EA1416F97896.jpeg09550705-2B78-4BEA-9DA7-1AF0FA8FBDFB.jpeg

If I plant on an angle like that, a lot of the roots end up exposed for a bit? Do I just sort of cover it over with sphagnum? Anyone have a good tutorial on this?

Here’s the other one, I thought they were cool:

E48D3DAF-B612-4720-84EC-D75627406522.jpeg

How about in the second picture, you tilt it up towards the viewer.
Sometimes and overaggressive planting angle just feels contrived, especially since it looks like there’s a little bit of a root base for you to work with. Just my 2 cents.😉

Trunk angle is as much about trunk lines as planting angle. Always harder to see the full 3D movement in photos but it looks like the trunk moves way back in all 3 photos of the first tree. Unless the apex comes toward the front that's probably not going to look great in the end. The stiff, straight first branch does not really match the lower trunk so unless it can be bent somehow I think it should go - probably convert to dead wood.
Roots sticking out of the ground is not natural but a change of angle is often possible just by removing those roots. You won't know until you get to repot and see just how many roots it has and if you have enough to be able to sacrifice those sticking out. Up to half the roots can be removed in one operation if required.

2nd tree appears to have better trunk orientation with the apex coming forward. It also has a straighter branch on the right but appears thin enough to put bends in. Otherwise I think it would still be a good tree without that right side branch. Bonsai do not have to be symmetrical to be 'balanced'
Branch upper left appears to be wired up to meet with the apex. Would it be better dropped into the space between low jin and apex?

@Shibui i agree about the right branch on the second tree, not sure what I will do yet, but I’ve got time to think about it.

I agree dropping that down might be good! That one came wired so I’m not sure what the goal was, actually the canopy seems like kind of a mess but I have a lot to learn with junipers yet so idk.

For my own wiring I ended up with this:

E861EA13-BA70-4D59-9FD4-45BF673FEE56.jpeg

I sort of separated the growth and brought it all down and forward to the viewer.

Back
Top Bottom