New to bonsai, new shimpaku owner

jaja87

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Ontario Canada. Just got my hands on a shimpaku juniper that I repotted once I got home as it was severely root bound in a very small rock pot and in very compact potting soil. Planted in a mixture of akadama, pumice, hard fired clay aquarium substrate, activated charcoal (hard pebbles) and pine bark. So tempted to style and wire the tree but got advice to let it rest until next spring.

Also have a small Chinese elm, Fukien tea, hinoki cypress from rough nursery stock, tigerbark ficus, ficus Benjamina and a serissa all in the same substrate for a couple months and all are doing great.

My main love though is that shimpaku. My collection now feels complete.

I notice that the left bottom branch of the shimpaku is developed way more than the rest of the tree. There's some good branch structure but I feel like I'm going to have to cut it down to balance everything even though I hate having to do that.

Any styling advice or general advice is much appreciated

First pic is the shimpaku at the nursery in the small pot (I didn't like the angle they had it planted but loved the tree.

Second and third pic is after reporting and changing the angle. (I think it looks great on my balcony in the mist/fog)

Fourth pic is the underside of the left bottom branch. What do you guys think about having to cut it back? I feel that there's some good ramification going on there.

Attachments

• D7CE6931-5077-49C8-B75F-0FA11B4718BE.jpg
    D7CE6931-5077-49C8-B75F-0FA11B4718BE.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 64
Will do Clicio

Nice tree to start with. For now I'd only remove all yellowing foliage from the interior of the tree and use a search tool for the thread "Never pinch junipers..." or just Google it. Maybe some wiring in fall, maybe some light pruning, juniper guys might tell you more, I'm only a multi-species junkie...

Hello all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Ontario Canada. Just got my hands on a shimpaku juniper that I repotted once I got home as it was severely root bound in a very small rock pot and in very compact potting soil. Planted in a mixture of akadama, pumice, hard fired clay aquarium substrate, activated charcoal (hard pebbles) and pine bark. So tempted to style and wire the tree but got advice to let it rest until next spring.

Also have a small Chinese elm, Fukien tea, hinoki cypress from rough nursery stock, tigerbark ficus, ficus Benjamina and a serissa all in the same substrate for a couple months and all are doing great.

My main love though is that shimpaku. My collection now feels complete.

I notice that the left bottom branch of the shimpaku is developed way more than the rest of the tree. There's some good branch structure but I feel like I'm going to have to cut it down to balance everything even though I hate having to do that.

Any styling advice or general advice is much appreciated

First pic is the shimpaku at the nursery in the small pot (I didn't like the angle they had it planted but loved the tree.

Second and third pic is after reporting and changing the angle. (I think it looks great on my balcony in the mist/fog)

Fourth pic is the underside of the left bottom branch. What do you guys think about having to cut it back? I feel that there's some good ramification going on there.
Nice tree, but LOOK AT THAT VEIW!
I thought my attorney was the only one with a view like that!

Nice tree to start with. For now I'd only remove all yellowing foliage from the interior of the tree and use a search tool for the thread "Never pinch junipers..." or just Google it. Maybe some wiring in fall, maybe some light pruning, juniper guys might tell you more, I'm only a multi-species junkie...

Haha yeah I've already read the never pinch junipers blog and I will never pinch the foliage. And will let the new shoots grow before cutting them. Definitely going to Do my best to take care of it. I even rented and watched bonsai boom's video on junipers before I even bought it from the nursery. Wanted to be prepared.

Nice tree, but LOOK AT THAT VEIW!
I thought my attorney was the only one with a view like that!

Thanks! Yeah it's a great view! Sometimes take it for granted. But when I see pictures like the tree with the view in the back it makes me really notice how awesome it is.

I'm jealous, your top floor is 9 floors higher than ours, where we live.:(

Welcome to the site! However, untruer words have never been spoken. Once the bug bites you, there will be no end.

For example... where is your maple?

(oh no, now I have done it!)

Well... I have to stop now for a while or my partner will bury me and turn me into a bonsai.

Leave the tree until at least october or november. If it seems healthy and like it didnt skip a beat id say wire away. But if you wait til next year dont wire until late summer/fall. Observe and decide later in the year. In the spring the tree has very easy to damage bark. Beautiful tree btw. I dont imagine it was cheap.

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it

I wouldn't trim that branch till you're absolutely sure you doing want to cut back to IT to use as your final tree.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom