Opinions? or.... any reason for concern on lodgepole pine?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I....think.... it is a lodgepole but not sure.
My wife (gone now 13 years) and I picked it up at a nursery on our way back from Montana in ..probably....2006 or 7.
It has been in that big pot the whole time since.
It "looks" stressed to me but maybe not.
The soil is pretty packed up but there was a lot of lava mixed in when we got it home.
I haven't noticed the usual pollen candles this year.
There's no way ....I... could repot it as the arthritis has taken over my life.
What does the forum community think should be done with this pine?

And....do you think it is lodgepole?

???

LP whole tree.jpg

LP1.jpg

LP2.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks Lodgepole to me! 😉

However, if one had to guess about it looking scruffy, short of normal needle loss, my bet is it’s starting to get unhappy due to the compacted media and yellowing needles from lack of water penetration.

If uppotting and root work isn’t a possiblity, you might consider getting someone to plant it.

So very sorry to hear about the arthritis Mike!

cheers
DSD sends

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Looks like a lodgepole. I have several but they're all yamadori I've collected and they love growing in straight pumice.
Arthritis sucks. I just had one bad hip replaced. I've been selling off my bigger trees because its just too painful to work on them.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is there anyone in your area who would be willing to help you repot? I know I'd be happy to get more experience helping out others on such a thing, not to mention the prospect of taking it to a local pro.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like a lodgepole. I have several but they're all yamadori I've collected and they love growing in straight pumice.
Arthritis sucks. I just had one bad hip replaced. I've been selling off my bigger trees because its just too painful to work on them.

Well Paul, it would not surprise me if ...collecting.. yamadori wasn't a contributor to your arthritis.
In my case, I ...KNOW... that building my racks (2x12x10 foot boards on CONCRETE BLOCKS got me a titanium knee.
I carried 2 blocks at a time, one in each hand and HEAVY! 🥵

If the Arthritis Foundation ever caught wind of what we dopes do for bonsai, it would probably be a prohibited activity. 😄

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is there anyone in your area who would be willing to help you repot? I know I'd be happy to get more experience helping out others on such a thing, not to mention the prospect of taking it to a local pro.

Good suggestion but that damn tree has been in that pot for YEARS. I doubt it should even be considered for a bonsai.
It's a yard pot now.
We are thinking of getting the damn thing just planted in the yard.
Ain't no repotting yard trees. 😅

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
it is a really nice looking tree to put in the yard! i think that's a great option, and definitely limits the upkeep.

Top Bottom