Please help identify an inherited bonsai plant...

Islander13

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently came to be responsible for a mostly vibrant bonsai plant, so I'm trying to keep it that way. But I'm not sure what it is so that i can figure out it's light and water needs. I had a few guesses but thought I'd try here. I've had it for about 6 weeks in a west facing window on the east side of Vancouver Island. I have only watered it once as it has looked pretty healthy. I noticed the leaf burn this morning so I thought I'd better dig into it's care a little deeper. I'm a house plant novice, but I do garden outdoors :cool: I appreciate any help and pro tips on how to care for it. Thanks in advance!
My first guess was a type of jade and then a type of orange... 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 68

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ficus ginseng.. would be my guess

Yup. Ginseng ficus is usually two different cultivars of Ficus microcarpa grafted together. The variety on the bottom thickens its trunk quickly, and the variety on top produces smaller leaves. They love as much heat, humidity, and sunlight as they can possibly get, but they are very tolerant of indoor conditions in the winter.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use search function and seek Ficus. Should be plenty info for you. Also please add city, climate zone to profile for best info🤔.

Top Bottom