Potential urban yamadori/yardadori or too far gone?

zooley

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's a couple pines in front of my grandmother's house. She wants to remove them and put in a porch next spring. They are two needle and, though I'm no expert on pines, I'm fairly certain they're mugo. They were planted in 1992 from nursery stock. No clue how old the nursery stock was but maybe 4-5 years? So they're at least 35 years old. I'm not really interested in the one on the right but the one on the left has a lot of movement in the trunk. I keep thinking it could probably be reduced down to one main branch, pulled in some to be more compact and/or turned into some form of literati style (by someone more skilled than I). But, it's also feels like it might be too large for bonsai. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6586.jpg
    IMG_6586.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6588.jpg
    IMG_6588.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6590.jpg
    IMG_6590.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6591.jpg
    IMG_6591.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6592.jpg
    IMG_6592.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 67

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s hard to say if it’s too big but certainly would require a massive reduction. It likely would work with a deciduous tree but not sure about a conifer. I certainly don’t have any experience in this though. All the foliage is so far away you will like have to graft foliage lower unless it will back bud on that very old interior wood.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sad to say but 7-9' tall and many trunks will have huge ungainly root systems needing collection for survival. Unless having back hoe and truck trees are doomed😵.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Mugho sometimes bud well on bare wood but I would not try to get that in conjunction with transplant. Grafting later will also allow you to reduce long branches if it won't back bud.
Pines transplant better when they still have some terminal growing points so if you do decide to try it is best to cut back some of the trunks/branches you are unlikely to use and leave any potential keepers full length.
It is possible to reduce long pine roots provided there are some shorter ones with a few feeders to keep it going while the pruned roots regenerate.

If they are to go anyway why not try? You'll only lose some time and temporary space and there's the possibility it could actually survive.

Top Bottom